Select to view content in your preferred language

How can I change the status of a switch breaker, that connects two different circuits, to close

08-15-2023 08:33 AM
YulissaCamacho
New Contributor

Hi. I need to change the status (open/close) of a switch breaker in Arcgis. How could I do it?

0 Kudos
8 Replies
JohnAlsup
Esri Contributor

Is this high voltage or medium voltage?  

In Distribution, a circuit breaker does not typically connect to two downstream circuits.  But then, the term Circuit has a lot of different meanings to different people.  Could you provide a diagram or screenshot?

John Alsup
jalsup@esri.com
0 Kudos
YulissaCamacho
New Contributor

Is this high or medium voltage?

It is medium voltage.

in distribution, a circuit breaker does not typically connect two downstream, But then, the term Circuit has a lot of different meanings to different people, Could you provide a diagram or screenchot?

example border between two circuits

YulissaCamacho_0-1692120232255.png

The client (EPM) tells us that they connect two circuits in parallel occasionally for prisoners of maneuvers, it is not necessarily a short circuit, in theory the border devices would have to be open, but they comment that in practice they can have for a no prolonged time in parallel two circuits.

0 Kudos
JohnAlsup
Esri Contributor

I assume switch SA-0120 is normally open and you are wanting to close this.  If so, the first issue will be that you know have two subnetworks tied together in the same tier.  All features in both subnetworks will get both subnetwork names.  Is that what you want or are you just wanting to see the tracing results of you close the switch/breaker?  If you just want tracing results, then switch SA-0120 will need to have a Bi-Directional terminal configuration, which means it is not a subnetwork controller.  I am assuming that the subnetwork controller for 64785 is not in the screen shot and that this is a feeder fed feeder case.

John Alsup
jalsup@esri.com
0 Kudos
YulissaCamacho
New Contributor

It is correct it is not a network driver SA-0120

YulissaCamacho_0-1692123377229.png

0 Kudos
JohnAlsup
Esri Contributor

Changing the Normal Status of the device to closed should connect them.  But, you will get multiple subnetwork names on all the features in both subnetworks if you run update subnetwork.  If this is just for tracing, then you can run the trace without running update subnetwork.  

John Alsup
jalsup@esri.com
0 Kudos
YulissaCamacho
New Contributor

The problem is that if the device state is closed then updating the subnet throws an error. What I need is that it is possible to have a border device but that allows it to be closed without generating an error or conflict when it is between two circuits.

Error displayed if the border device is closed.

YulissaCamacho_0-1692139293763.png

0 Kudos
JohnAlsup
Esri Contributor

I'm guessing you have the tier defined as Radial and not Mesh.  Unfortunately there is not a good way to change this except to take all your data back out to asset package and change it there and then reload it.

You could make it trace without this error, but you will not be able to run update subnetwork with your current configuration without getting this error when two or more subnetworks are tied togehter.

John Alsup
jalsup@esri.com
0 Kudos
MikeMillerGIS
Esri Frequent Contributor

If two features are in two subnetworks, you will get an error regardless of Mesh or Radial.  They can only exist in two subnetworks if you are using propagation and the propagated values do not mix(A from one and A from another would cause the same error) or there is a network protection device(a directional terminaled device) that prevents the upstream trace from one subnetwork reaching the controller of the other subnetwork.  

Are these features energized from both subnetworks in real life?  

0 Kudos