Select to view content in your preferred language

Exporting to Asset Packages: Global ID vs Guid data type confusion

Jump to solution
04-08-2024 01:40 PM
Andy_Morgan
New Contributor III

What's the proper way to handle GlobalID fields when taking a brand new utility network and exporting to an asset package? I'm trying to put together a checklist for creating and applying packages to build a UN with both a Water and Sewer domain network, and I'll be going through the entire routine from start to end more than a few times between our development, test and production environments.

Here's the somewhat cumbersome workaround I've put together in order to avoid creating an unwanted "GlobalID_1" field in each standalone table or UN feature class.

After Create Utility Network and Add Domain Network (for Water and Sewer):

1. “Export Asset Package” to create an asset package using the empty utility network as input
  2. Delete the “GlobalID” field (Data Type = Guid) if it exists in any standalone tables and reference classes (used in my attribute rules):

This includes Edge Object tables, Junction Object tables and UN feature classes ("SewerAssembly",                  "SewerDevice"....etc.)

1. Select tables and dataset, Manage ->  ☑ Global IDs

or use "Add Global IDs" tool 

If I don't do this, when I go to add attribute rules to my feature classes in the asset package it errors out saying must have Global IDs enabled. 

And if I were to skip the steps for deleting Guid data type "GlobalID" fields then it creates GlobalID_1 which messes everything up. Surely I'm not understanding something fundamental and this isn't something everyone does each time...?

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
PaulLeBlanc1
Esri Regular Contributor

Attribute rules in the asset package are stored in a side table (B_AttributeRules). See https://doc.arcgis.com/en/arcgis-solutions/latest/tool-reference/utility-network-package/pdf/Utility...

Since it's much more convenient to use design view or geoprocessing to author attribute rules, it's a good idea to configure your attribute rules against the deployed utility network, not the asset package.

The GlobalID field in the asset package is a GUID so that the values can be maintained.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
PaulLeBlanc1
Esri Regular Contributor

Attribute rules in the asset package are stored in a side table (B_AttributeRules). See https://doc.arcgis.com/en/arcgis-solutions/latest/tool-reference/utility-network-package/pdf/Utility...

Since it's much more convenient to use design view or geoprocessing to author attribute rules, it's a good idea to configure your attribute rules against the deployed utility network, not the asset package.

The GlobalID field in the asset package is a GUID so that the values can be maintained.

0 Kudos