Select to view content in your preferred language

Enable Topology Error - ERROR 001872:

10-13-2023 10:33 PM
EstherSmith_Dev
New Contributor III

Hi,

I am trying to deploy Utility Network to ArcGIS Enterprise v10.9.1 with SQL Server 2019 (v15.0.2000.5) as a backend for a large electric utility. The model is deployed using Asset Package with data for Electric domain only. Electric domain has ~2.7m ElectricLine records, ~700,000+ ElectricDevice records with more than half with Terminals and ~2.0m ElectricJunction records. And I do not have any Subnetwork Controllers just yet. 

When I try to run Enable Network Topology I get this error consistently.

ERROR 001872: Underlying DBMS error [[Microsoft][ODBC Driver 17 for SQL Server][SQL Server]The instance of the SQL Server Database Engine cannot obtain a LOCK resource at this time. Rerun your statement when there are fewer active users. Ask the database administrator to check the lock and memory configuration for this instance, or to check for long-running transactions.] [XXXXXXXXXX.NETADMIN.UN_6_EIDMappings]

EstherSmith_Dev_0-1697260406982.png

My backend SQL Server is 8 CPU, 32 GB machine. I have already executed 

EXEC sp_configure 'locks', 0 

as per some of suggestions about this SQL Server error. But I still get the same error.

Same Asset Package is deployed to FGDB successfully with topology enabled in about 10 minutes. The model has about 9,000 topological errors.

Any suggestions about what I can do to enable topology successfully in SQL Server?

Thanks,

Vish

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
AnthonyRyanEQL
Regular Contributor

Have you check the geodatabase connections to see if any users have connected to the geodatabase, closed all ArcGIS Pro clients with an sde connection to the geodatabase, services still running, etc?

I have found in the past having ArcGIS Pro open with an sde file to the geodatabase can cause a lock. The way I run enable topology is via a python script and don't get any issues like this anymore

0 Kudos
RobertKrisher
Esri Regular Contributor

This looks like it could actually be a lock escalation issue on the EID mapping table. I'd recommend you reach out to support and reference this knowledge base topic: Bug: Branch Versioned Editing May Encounter Locking, Blocking, and Deadlocking When the Da (esri.com.... If it is a lock escalation issue then they can provide a workaround, although if you're applied all the latest utility network patches to your ArcGIS Pro client and ArcGIS Enterprise install then you shouldn't be running into this issue.