Electric Stacked Points for Transformers and Services

10-22-2021 12:14 PM
LindseyStone
Occasional Contributor III

I was hoping for a recommendation or best practices for stacked points in regards to Medium Voltage Transformers and and Low Voltage Services as I cannot find an example in the Naperville Data.

1. I have SEVERAL locations with 3 - Single Phase Overhead Transformers (they are stacked).  What I have done is created a line end at z value =0, changed the z value for each of my transformers to 1,2,&3. I then associated the transformers to a transformers bank AND to the Line end.  My MV conductors has a z value of 0 to connect to the line end and my LV conductors has a z value to match the transformer it is connected too.  Is this the best way of doing this or should I be spreading my transformers apart where they are not stacked and leaving them all at z value 0.  I've found articles depicting them both ways, but can't seem to find a reasoning of which way is more effective or recommended standards.

2. I have SEVERAL location where I have a Low Voltage Conductor is coming to the end of the building.  This building has MULTIPLE meters at this location so I have placed multiple Low Voltage Service Connections at this end point of the LV Conductor to represent each meter.  Since they are stacked points I have changed the z values to 0,1,2,3 etc.  However when you run the update subnetwork tool only the service connection with a 0 value gets the subnetwork name as there are not other associations in the place.  I don't see a default associations to a line end or any other junction with the Service Connection to make this association to the LV Conductor Line.  Is there another way of doing this or should I be making an association rule between a LV Junction Line End to LV Device Service Connection for my environment?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
JohnAlsup
Esri Contributor

Hi Lindsey

On question 1.  Both methods you describe are valid, but the Z value might need to be larger depending on your vertical tolerance. As to which is better, that is up the each consumer.  Personally, I like the transformer tanks spread out so I can see each one.  But, I could see where having them stack might better for spatial placement, you just have to remember to set the Z value or set it in the template.

As for Question #2, I would use a Electric Assembly/Low Voltage Service and then place all my services as content of the assembly and then use a Line End on the Low Voltage line and create connectivity associations from the Low Voltage Services (meters) to the line end.  When multiple ElectricDevices and ElectircJunctions share the same X,Y,Z, only one will get connected to the network.  Since only 1 has the same Z as the line, it is the only one connected.  Connectivity from coincidence requires the same X,Y,Z and you can only have one Device or Junction as the same X,Y,Z. 

John Alsup
jalsup@esri.com
LindseyStone

John,

Can your elaborate on the vertical tolerance on where that is set or used?

0 Kudos
JohnAlsup
Esri Contributor

The Utility Network is both Z and M aware.   The domain, resolution and tolerance can be viewed on the properties of the feature dataset that contains the Utility Network.  Typically, it will have a tolerance of .0001 units, but could be different if you changed the spatial reference.

Z Tolerance (Environment setting)—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

John Alsup
jalsup@esri.com
LindseyStone

Thanks for the info John.  I was aware that the Utility network is Z and M aware and utilizing the Z.  I however was not aware the tolerance changed with the spatial reference.  I double checked mine and it is still set to .0001 units.

0 Kudos
VishApte
Esri Contributor

Not sure if this applicable for Z co-ordinates, but somewhere in the documentation or in one of the threads here described that two points are considered coincident by UN if horizontal distance is within 2Root2 times the tolerance of the horizontal coordinate system. If this applies to Z values as well, then two points with z-values within 0.0003 units and X, Y values exactly same will be considered as co-incident. 

0 Kudos