Select to view content in your preferred language

Downstream Tracing across multiple tiers

Jump to solution
05-12-2024 08:02 PM
gis_KIWI4
Occasional Contributor II

Hi 

I have a question about downstream tracing across tiers. I have a mock up of a scenario that is causing me some grief and I wanted to see if this is by design or a bug? 

3 Tiers in my Network - Sub transmission (33kV), High Voltage (11kV), Low Voltage (400V)
In the scenario below I have 4 subnetwork controllers as labelled.
LV Subnetwork Controller A is a 33kV to 400V transformer.
LV Subnetwork Controller B is a 11kV to 400V transformer.

gis_KIWI4_1-1715565659802.png

I am going to attempt tracing downstream from the subnetwork controller
And for simplicity sake I have indicated 2 branches (A and B as shown above)

The subnetworks have been generated - 

gis_KIWI4_2-1715567537788.png

The problem -

Scenario 1: Downstream trace from the 33kV switch seems to works fine on Branch A but doesn't trace down to LV on Branch B.

gis_KIWI4_3-1715568528442.png  

gis_KIWI4_4-1715568568384.png

Scenario 2: Now I will do the same trace while blocking branch A and it works and traces all the way down to LV Tier and end point.

gis_KIWI4_5-1715568789760.png

The (possible) Reason for this

Branch A has 2 "hops" - Subtransmission Tier -> LV Tier
Branch B has 3 "hops" - Subtransmission Tier -> High Voltage Tier -> Low Voltage Tier

In Scenario 1 (no barriers) it reaches the end point on branch A in 2 steps and stops but on branch B it has only traced HV Tier. I do not claim to know what's happening but these are just observations based on testing. Now I am unsure if this is by design or is a bug? 

I would have expected setting the "Target Tier" in the geoprocessing tool would have managed to reach down to the LV level on both branches. 

Any comments/help is appreciated here.
Thanks 🙂

@RobertKrisher @JohnAlsup @MikeMillerGIS 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RobertKrisher
Esri Regular Contributor

You can quickly test this out using ArcGIS Pro 3.3 by copying the dataset to a local file geodatabase or mobile geodatabase. If you're testing against services, your ArcGIS Enterprise will need to have one of the Utility Network Data Management patches installed (this fix was included in the first patch).

The trace does not need to encounter all the intermediate tiers between the start/target tier. In your example a downstream trace in a source-based domain starting at Tier A targeting Tier C would select all downstream features in subnetworks belonging to Tiers A, B, and C, as Tier A = Rank 1, Tier B = Rank 2, and Tier C = Rank 3.

View solution in original post

7 Replies
RobertKrisher
Esri Regular Contributor

What version/patch of ArcGIS Pro and ArcGIS Enterprise are you using? This appears very similar to BUG-000148077.

0 Kudos
gis_KIWI4

Hi @RobertKrisher,

I checked with the team and already had the patch installed.
What could we do to debug this further? 

gis_KIWI4_0-1715892963587.png

0 Kudos
RobertKrisher
Esri Regular Contributor

Open a case with support.

MikeMillerGIS
Esri Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos
gis_KIWI4

Hi @RobertKrisher , 

We are using Version:  11.1.0 (build 42869) and ArcGIS Pro 3.3
Do you reckon, the data management patch is worth a try?

Can I also please ask a question about tiers?

The article here suggests an example Tier Hierarchy. Will the tier tracing work if we have tier A connected directly to Tier C? Or does Utility Network expect a strict Tier A -> Tier B -> Tier C hierarchy? 
https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/help/data/utility-network/network-hierarchies-with-tiers.ht...

gis_KIWI4_0-1715636516977.png

RobertKrisher
Esri Regular Contributor

You can quickly test this out using ArcGIS Pro 3.3 by copying the dataset to a local file geodatabase or mobile geodatabase. If you're testing against services, your ArcGIS Enterprise will need to have one of the Utility Network Data Management patches installed (this fix was included in the first patch).

The trace does not need to encounter all the intermediate tiers between the start/target tier. In your example a downstream trace in a source-based domain starting at Tier A targeting Tier C would select all downstream features in subnetworks belonging to Tiers A, B, and C, as Tier A = Rank 1, Tier B = Rank 2, and Tier C = Rank 3.

gis_KIWI4

Hi Robert, 

I can confirm that the trace works fine when run against a local mobile geodatabase.
We will work towards installing the Network Data Management patch.

Also thanks for clarifying the question about the Trace not needing to encounter all tiers.

Helpful as always @RobertKrisher 🙂 

0 Kudos