Select to view content in your preferred language

Branch Versioning and Mobile Workflows

09-14-2021 08:41 AM
LoganSuhr_PSE
Occasional Contributor

Hi All,

I'm trying to learn more about how Collector and Field Maps can work with Utility Network data while writing to specific versions or create new versions during an editing session.

I think I understand that with traditional versioning, we could 'enable sync' while publishing the service and choose a few different methods of version creation.  But this only seems to apply when the editor takes the map offline.  This isn't a situation where the editor is just always writing to a new version.

With branch versioning, we can't enable sync when publishing.  Instead we rely on enabling 'Version Management' when we publish.  This seems right for desktop workflows, but what do we do about mobile workflows in Collector or Field Maps?  How can I get a user to always write to a new version or an established 'fieldcrew' version as an example?

Thanks!

11 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

You are able to sync branch versioned data in ArcGIS Field Maps. The option to work with named versions is only available in offline workflows at this time. When you create an offline area, it will create a version for that offline area. You should be able to set the sync capability for user-managed data when sharing a web layer from ArcGIS Pro. You want to select the option to "create a version for each downloaded map" - this also includes user information. If you delete that offline area on ArcGIS Field Maps and download another area (not sync), it will create a new named version as well.

0 Kudos
ChelseaRozek
MVP Regular Contributor

2 years later... does anyone have any more information about this? All I'm seeing around the Community is about taking branch versions offline in Field Maps. I'm disappointed that the new service-based versioning method is so Pro centric. Seems counter intuitive and not so revolutionary. I was hoping the branch versioned service published to Portal could have different views of it saved as portal items each pointing to a specific version, like for different field worker groups.