Select to view content in your preferred language

A few Subnetwork questions

Jump to solution
05-16-2024 11:26 AM
LiliYu2
New Contributor II

Hello - 

I start exploring Utility Network Subnetwork for Gas pipe recently and have a few entry level questions. I seem cannot find the answer here or maybe I didn't use right keywords to search on forum. Hope someone can help or direct me to the right place. 

Background: UN 6.0/Pro 3.1.2

1. When creating pressure subnet and setting up terminal connections on the lines that are on each side of regulator, which is subnet controller, is the digitized direction of lines important to control how subnet is built. Ideally, gas flow from transmission pipe to distribution pipe via regulator (high pressure to low pressure). But I have transmission line digitized away from distribution pipe, while Distribution pipe is digitized toward Transmission (see screenshot below). In that case, I was wondering if gas pressure subnet can be built correctly? Or should flip the lines to simulate real world situation? 

LiliYu2_0-1715883593714.png

1. Isolation Zone v.s. Isolation Trace. I've seen a few discussions about Isolation Trace along with case scenarios. But I don't see quite a lot about Isolation zone (Or Isolation subnetwork). I was wondering what's the purpose to have Isolation zone, and if there are any different practical examples than what isolation trace can do. 
  2. Clarification on Tier Rank - In the UN package I started with, System is defined Tier Rank 1, Pressure is Tier Rank 2, Isolation is Tier Rank 3. I am not so clear on how tier rank works, especially when building subnet. Does that mean system subnet needs to be built first (made to the database), then we can create pressure subnet on top of system subnet next; Once pressure subnet is made to the database, isolation subnet can be built after? I am able to create different tiers subnet without each other and wonder if that's wrong approach. 
  3. How to set up a subnetwork controller that can create a pressure subnet line that stops at where pressure change. Is disconnecting lines from each other the only option? 

Any input is appreciated. 

Thanks,

Lili

0 Kudos
11 Replies
RobertKrisher
Esri Regular Contributor

We need to confirm that the subnetwork trace is correct using the tier's normal condition barriers before we investigate update subnetwork. When you run a subnetwork trace for the subnetwork, does it stop at your closed valve?

If no condition barriers are provided to the update subnetwork GP tool it will default to using the subnetwork definition's condition barriers.

LiliYu2
New Contributor II

I see. Let me check on trace to investigate. 

It's good to know this: 

"If no condition barriers are provided to the update subnetwork GP tool it will default to using the subnetwork definition's condition barriers."

Thanks for prompt responses!!

0 Kudos