Defining Parcel Edge Info

Jump to solution
05-07-2020 09:52 AM
VancityBrian
New Contributor III

Hi,

I was wondering if you can pre-define parcel edge info? I understand parcel edges are being defined in scenarios, which makes sense as developing plausible buildings would only be in a scenario, but wanted to know if there was a way of having the parcel edges pre-defined so that plausible buildings would be generated without modifications to the parcel edges as they are unlikely to be manipulated in reality from the existing situation. I tried accessing the parcel edges in the database but you can only see as is (no defined edges) and could not find anywhere how the schema is set up after defining scenario based parcels so that I could define for existing conditions.

Thank you!

Brian

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DominikAllemann
Esri Contributor

Hi Brian Lee‌,

Thank you for your question. 
You are right that by default there is no edge info stored for parcels. And if nothing is defined as edge info, all parcel edges fall back to the default orientation "side" and the default adjacency "interior".

The orientation and adjacency values of parcels can be calculated in CityEngine. Please refer to the CityEngine documentation to learn more about the Compute edge attributes tool.

If you want to have EdgeInfo for all parcels of your Urban Model, we suggest calculating the edge attributes of your parcel layer in CityEngine engine first. Afterwards, you can import your parcels into your Urban Model through the Urban Data Manager and define there which source attribute of your parcel layer contains the edge infos that were calculated in CityEngine.

Alternatively, you can also calculate edge info per Plan:

• Create a Plan in Urban
  • Load the Plan's content (Zones, Parcels, Overlays) into CityEngine by using the Urban <-> CityEngine interface in CityEngine
  • Calculate the edge info with the above-mentioned CityEngine tool
  • Sync the Plan's content back to Urban

Please refer to the CityEngine documentation to learn more about the ArcGIS Urban integration in CityEngine.

Hope this helps :-).

Thanks,
Dominik

View solution in original post

4 Replies
DominikAllemann
Esri Contributor

Hi Brian Lee‌,

Thank you for your question. 
You are right that by default there is no edge info stored for parcels. And if nothing is defined as edge info, all parcel edges fall back to the default orientation "side" and the default adjacency "interior".

The orientation and adjacency values of parcels can be calculated in CityEngine. Please refer to the CityEngine documentation to learn more about the Compute edge attributes tool.

If you want to have EdgeInfo for all parcels of your Urban Model, we suggest calculating the edge attributes of your parcel layer in CityEngine engine first. Afterwards, you can import your parcels into your Urban Model through the Urban Data Manager and define there which source attribute of your parcel layer contains the edge infos that were calculated in CityEngine.

Alternatively, you can also calculate edge info per Plan:

• Create a Plan in Urban
  • Load the Plan's content (Zones, Parcels, Overlays) into CityEngine by using the Urban <-> CityEngine interface in CityEngine
  • Calculate the edge info with the above-mentioned CityEngine tool
  • Sync the Plan's content back to Urban

Please refer to the CityEngine documentation to learn more about the ArcGIS Urban integration in CityEngine.

Hope this helps :-).

Thanks,
Dominik

VancityBrian
New Contributor III

This is absolutely helpful! Thank you very much for this information. 

0 Kudos
JulieKottamala1
New Contributor II

Hey Dominik,

I tried running the tool as you mentioned in your reply. I don't see any difference in the Edgeinfo fields. Also, how do I see the shape attributes in CE?

0 Kudos
Till_Schmid
Esri Contributor

Hi Julie

Calculating EdgeInformation with CityEngine works best if you connect to an Urban Plan in CE, calculate the Edges and synchronize the changes back to Urban. Synchronization with Urban in CE is described here: ArcGIS Urban integration—ArcGIS CityEngine Resources | Documentation 

If you would like to calculate the EdgeInformation for all parcels in your model, you can follow the workaround described in this answer: Parcel Edge Attributes Using CityEngine.

Let me know if this helped or not

Thanks, Till

0 Kudos