Web Designer Rules not Saving

Jump to solution
12-21-2021 09:49 AM
BrandonA_CDPH
Occasional Contributor II

I am having trouble with the Survey123 Web Designer. I have designed a survey with a "gateway" question (if this is yes, go on - if no show a message and allow to submit). I set the rules for the "gateway" question so that if yes, the next questions show - if not, they are hidden.  When I save the form and preview or publish it, the rules go away and do not work.  I have tried multiple times and even removing the question and adding in a fresh version. Nothing seems to work.

There have been other posts about groups causing an issue with rules. My rule question is not in a group, but it does refer to questions in a groups, if that's relevant.

Thank you in advance for any assistance.

0 Kudos
13 Replies
Shwu-jingJeng
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Brandon and Brown,

I will suggest you to contact Support service team to create a ticket for the website issue as this used to be an issue but we had addressed a while ago and could be a regression one you are seeing now. Please contact Support Service and have them help you out to narrow down the cause.

Thanks,

BrandonA_CDPH

I'll do that.  Thank you for the help and troubleshooting.

0 Kudos
BrandonA_CDPH

So, because I was being stubborn about not using Connect (I am hoping to get some help from non-Connect people with maintenance, etc.), I took up the case with ESRI Support.

This apparently is a known bug BUG-000143301: Creating the Set rule -function does not work properly in Survey123 when the Address -component is used in the survey before the Set rule -component. The solutions are 1) Put the Addresss question after rules or 2) Use connect.

Because I overthink (and am stubborn), I also found another, somewhat clunky, but effective workaround.

1. I created a question using the Address question type in the upper part of the form and set it to Address Text only.
  2. I set a couple rules in the middle part of the form to see if they would stick.
  3. I then created a "Map" question at the very end of the form (after any rules I may want to have) - I used the calculation on this question to pull the matched location from the Address question. Then, I set this Map question to "Hide from survey".
In preview, this seems to have worked and is looking promising in preliminary testing. This added an additional field with the original address, but that's not so bad for my design.

So, I hope this helps someone else who runs across this (or @Brownschuh) as I would not have figured this out without ESRI's Technician's help.
Brownschuh

Good to know.  Just for reference, before I switched over to Connect, my Web Designer survey also had an address question type before the other questions with rules applied.  So the bug affected my survey as well.