Select to view content in your preferred language

Using Repeats data into ArcGIS Dashboard

10-19-2023 06:57 AM
MariusVerdes
Regular Contributor

Hi everyone,

I'm hoping for some help with a Survey123 survey that has 8 repeat sections stored in related tables. I'm trying to display the data in a centralized way using ArcGIS Dashboard, but I can't see the related tables in any of the visual elements.

Is this a limitation of Dashboard, or is there something I can do to work around it? Has anyone else faced this issue before? How did you overcome it?

I'm also open to using ArcGIS Experience Builder if there's a workaround there.

Thanks in advance for your help!

0 Kudos
13 Replies
MobiusSnake
MVP Regular Contributor

If I'm understanding correctly, it sounds like you want to look at repeat data in a tabular form, but include attributes from the parent form?

There are a couple ways I can think to do this:

• Look into Arcade Data Expressions for your dashboard.  These allow you to dynamically create derived layers on-the-fly in the web application.  You could use these to create an on-the-fly join between the parent form records and the child repeat records.
  • Create "who" and "date" fields in your child (repeat) tables.  Run a scheduled Python notebook to 'enrich' your child records with the parent records' data.

An advantage of the first approach is it doesn't require any notebook deployment or credit usage.  The second approach would give you better performance within your web applications, however.  I've used both at different times, depending on factors like how much data I'm dealing with at once, and whether I need those "enriched" fields in applications other than dashboards.  Data Expressions are great within dashboards but they don't carry over to apps like the Map Viewer or the Web Editor.

0 Kudos
ScottJones1
Regular Contributor

This might be above my paygrade, I don't even know where to look for Arcade Data Expressions...

Do you have a link to a Arcade Data Expression white paper or instruction... I'll look around on youtube in the mean time.

This is the table, displaying all of the tasks, performed by all of the patrollers

TobogganSkillsAll.jpg

However when I go at try to create a category select, I choose the Patroller field from the Layer, there is nothing to associate it with in the table, so do I need to add the patroller to each table as well? I see the Parent GUID in the Table but no GUID in the layer, and I have tried to ensure it is selected..

I tried to work with what was there, selecting Patroller from the Layer, but there is no field that I can find to associate it with, I choose Toboggan but get NO DATA pop up..

But no data will display when I have the ACTION selected

TobogganSkillsCategory.jpg

It does work when the layer is alone and no Table is associated with it...

Beacon.jpg

0 Kudos
clt_cabq
Frequent Contributor

Being able to view related data such as those in repeats is challenging, simply because you are looking at multiple states of the same location. I think you need to clearly define how you want to be able to understand those repeated or related values. The screen shot below shows a pop up that I've enhanced by summarizing data in a related table - 124 records for a single address. There is almost no way you can show that kind of detail visually. This is accomplished using Arcade and a custom expression built for the pop up of the given feature layer.

clt_cabq_0-1697728049581.png

0 Kudos
MariusVerdes
Regular Contributor

Hi @clt_cabq,

I agree with you here, it will be a bit complicated to link all the data as needed, but this is the second step of my project, which, I can start to work on now that I found a way to link the data to the widgets.😅 

I will definitely come back to this thread or here in the community if I face other pit stops in my project.
 Thanks a lot.

0 Kudos