Select to view content in your preferred language

Using answers from previous questions to populate ranking choices in final question

07-06-2023 11:35 AM
RyanKelley_NA
New Contributor III

I am using Survey123 Connect and created a survey that has 5 questions.  Each question will be a a multiple choice where a user can pick their 2 most important answers (there will be between 5-10 to pick from for each question).  I then want to be able to take those 2 selections from each of the 5 questions (so 10 total selections) and have a choice list dynamically generated for the last question on the survey where the user can rank those 10 selections based on importance.  Is that possible?

I was trying to use some combination of the selected formula in the choice filter column but I am not sure that there is a way to iterate through each question to pull the 2 answers.  Any help would be appreciated!

0 Kudos
3 Replies
MarkChappell
New Contributor III

I think you can, but it'll be a bit of a process. You can apply a choice filter to present a subset of choices to a question based on the answer to a previous question, but it does not have the capability to dynamically generate an entirely new list from multiple previous answers.

In the instance of your requirement, a workaround could be to design your survey such that the user's 2 most important answers from each of the 5 questions are entered into separate questions themselves, with a corresponding ranking question following each selection.

Here is an example workflow:

1. For each of the 5 main questions, provide a list of options for the user to select their top 2.
  2. Immediately after each of the 5 main questions, ask the user to rank the 2 selections from the previous question.
  3. In the final question, provide a comprehensive list of all possible answers, and ask the user to select and rank their top 10 from this list.

However, this workaround is far from ideal because it can lead to a lengthy and potentially confusing user experience.

For your use case, it may be more feasible to manually process the data after the survey has been completed.

--:--

Mark Chappell
AnnetteDinkel
New Contributor

Hi, RyanKelley, 

Did you ever find a simpler solution?  I found this thread from 2022:

https://community.esri.com/t5/arcgis-survey123-questions/how-to-enable-users-to-rank-their-selection... 

that it's a known bug, but am wondering if you found a workaround.

0 Kudos
RyanKelley_NA
New Contributor III

No, I never did find a good workaround for what we were trying to do.  I think the person creating the survey ended up designing it in a different way to avoid the issue.

0 Kudos