Select to view content in your preferred language

Updated Survey in Connect and now Feature Service Data Shows Error

Jump to solution
08-02-2022 04:33 PM
ScottBrown1
New Contributor III

Hello!

I recently updated my survey in Connect by adding four additional choices to a select_one question.  The list name is the same as what has already existed and the name and label columns are consistent with what has already existed as well.  After publishing, I noticed my dashboard displaying the data showed errors in all elements and there was a data disconnection.

I tried to connect the data to the feature service and I get "Layer not accessible"

The feature service in AGOL exists, but the Data, and Visualization tabs show "An error occured"

The stakeholder view feature service shows all data, both old and newly collected with the updated form.  However, I can not update the view layer to show additional attributes from the feature service rendering it useless for dashboard purposes as the previously added questions play a big role in my data visualization.

The strange thing is, I can export the data to an excel file and download it with no problem.  And the exported data contains newly submitted survey information, telling me it's still working but there is a hang up somewhere.

I've deleted the updated information but am still stuck with the same errors now.  Has anyone had this issue or have some advice?

Thanks,

Scott

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ScottBrown1
New Contributor III

After racking my brain all night, I made a discovery this morning.  The feature service data IS available, but only when using a different browser or device.  It seems there was a hang up on my computer and Microsoft Edge browser specifically.  I cleared all of my browser data in the settings tab and the feature service data loaded without error.

Thanks for the response and suggestions! I did replicate the survey without error.  And the view layer was not able to be updated as the feature layer data was inaccessible based on whatever the browser issue was.  Now that the browser problem is resolved, I'm back in business to update the rest.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
MatthewCarey
Occasional Contributor

Hi, at the risk of stating the obvious it seems that something went quite wrong when you published the update to your survey, which I'm sure has happened to many of us. If you happen to have any copies/screenshots of the xlsx form in its before and after state that might help to figure out what happened. Or even a more detailed write-up of what you changed.

I don't quite understand why the main feature service would have problems but the view based on it would seem to work OK, but I guess that can happen -- I'd almost hope that if you come back to it after a break and log in fresh to AGOL, things would have righted themselves.

Could you expand on why you can't update the view layer? Are you trying that and are running up against a problem? I have to admit I find the editing of view layers non-intuitive since it was overhauled but maybe if you could edit it, that would help.

Finally, maybe you could try this -- take your xlsx form and publish a whole new survey and see how that works. If all is good, at least you have the option of adopting that as your production one (as long as you can bring across the data from the old one if you need to). Sometimes it's better to cut your losses and start afresh instead of trying to diagnose what happened to an existing survey.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
ScottBrown1
New Contributor III

After racking my brain all night, I made a discovery this morning.  The feature service data IS available, but only when using a different browser or device.  It seems there was a hang up on my computer and Microsoft Edge browser specifically.  I cleared all of my browser data in the settings tab and the feature service data loaded without error.

Thanks for the response and suggestions! I did replicate the survey without error.  And the view layer was not able to be updated as the feature layer data was inaccessible based on whatever the browser issue was.  Now that the browser problem is resolved, I'm back in business to update the rest.

0 Kudos