Table-list appearance group being split into columns in theme-grid style

Jump to solution
10-05-2021 10:36 AM
archeomason
New Contributor III

Hello, everyone - 

I am new to Survey 123 and am building a soil-recording form for archaeologists to use. I'm working in a sandbox form to test different components out, but am having some trouble with table-list appearance settings not being applied.

Is there a way to set the "w1" value for a "table-list" appearance in a group (e.g. set them both in a group's "appearance" column)? I've set form's "style" in "settings" to "theme-grid" because there's a different group on the form that I want formatted into multiple columns but this group just needs to be one column. Instead the table-list is being broken into individual cells across multiple columns (see attached screen cap).

Can you apply the theme-grid layout to some groups but not all? I've read in the documentation that "The table-list appearance value will not function if placed in a theme-grid group," but I read that to mean that you can set some groups to the theme-grid setting and others to not be theme-grid. 

I thought maybe I could set that group to "w1" and it'd work, to no avail. In that same documentation, it says, "...These widths can be set along with most other appearance types." That leads me to think you can set multiple appearance types for a given group. I also read somewhere that it defaults to "w1" unless otherwise specified.

This seems like I'm missing something simple. If anyone has any ideas, I'd appreciate the assistance.

Thank you in advance!

soils screencap.jpg

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi @archeomason,

Please note that table-list and theme-grid are not supported together. You can not put a table-list group inside a theme-grid group.

Refer to documentation and blog posts below, which has this as a known limitation:

https://doc.arcgis.com/en/survey123/desktop/create-surveys/xlsformsappearance.htm#ESRI_SECTION1_8BFD...

https://community.esri.com/t5/arcgis-survey123-blog/survey123-tricks-of-the-trade-groups-grids-and/b...

Regards,

Phil.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi @archeomason,

Please note that table-list and theme-grid are not supported together. You can not put a table-list group inside a theme-grid group.

Refer to documentation and blog posts below, which has this as a known limitation:

https://doc.arcgis.com/en/survey123/desktop/create-surveys/xlsformsappearance.htm#ESRI_SECTION1_8BFD...

https://community.esri.com/t5/arcgis-survey123-blog/survey123-tricks-of-the-trade-groups-grids-and/b...

Regards,

Phil.

archeomason
New Contributor III

Thank you very much for the reply... I think I'd read through both of those examples, but it's good to know from y'all that these are the go-to references. 

I suppose I'm still confused on the theme-grid setting. 

When you say that theme-grid and table-list are incompatible, do you mean that if you want to be able to have several fields on a single line anywhere within your form (i.e. theme-grid) then it disqualifies you from being able to use a table-list anywhere on that same form?

You mention that I can't put a table-list group inside a theme-grid group. I'd read that previously and to my knowledge, I haven't done that. My proposed table-list group isn't nested within a theme-grid group. It's a stand-alone group on the form. I took the liberty of uploading the xlsform in case that helps.

I have set the form's style, under Settings, to "theme-grid", though.

Is there some way to say the form can have theme-grid groups in some places but not have it apply to all groups on the form?

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi @archeomason,

Once you put theme-grid in the settings worksheet, the entire survey becomes a grid theme survey. Meaning every page and group is being treated as a grid layout. Even if you don't specify a w appearance, a default is applied to make it fit that layout (ie of 1 column). So in this case table-list will not work correctly in this type of survey.

Regards,

Phil.

archeomason
New Contributor III

Thank you for the explanation @Anonymous User. That makes sense. I'll adjust things and hopefully find a solution. I do appreciate your time in getting back to me.