Survey123 Workflow and Crowd Source layers?

Jump to solution
03-19-2021 04:13 AM
WeverMike99
New Contributor

This is a long set of questions, that require some background to answer. Please bear with me pretty new to this software.
I have been testing Survey123 for about 30 days. We are attempting to go out to the public and get them to answer questions (crowd source the data layer) that relate to speed and reliability of their broadband connection in rural areas (9 counties in Illinois). It has been very disappointing that the public, due to Phishing scams, will not respond unless we go out via multiple trusted organizations. We have partnered with some large agricultural organizations and school districts. Right now, we are working on one test county to optimize response rate. I envision using Survey123 across each county 9 agriculatural organizations and several school districts. The survey between the rural and school district has a couple questions that are different. Would eventually like to have a single layer that represents point features that can be symbolized against download, upload and latency speeds.

Question: How/Can I use the same basic survey, but have it go out via multiple "trusted" sources, but in the end only have a single data layer, with minimal steps on my part. Is there a workflow for this?
Question: If I am optimistic, and were to roll out state wide and get good response rates, what is the record limitations of Survey123?
Question: How do I push out a custom map extent of a county or school district poly, in the map to present the public an area they immediately recognize and lessen the mistrust issue?
Question: Within the survey, would like to show a graphic of the broadband speed test, with highlighted circles showing the information we would like them to input into the survey? Basically, an instructional que graphic. I see the image function, but it fits an infrastructure inspection workflow to take a picture or browse to an existing picture. (See attached)
Question: Instead of going straight to Publish, couldn’t there be a beta area to push the survey out prior to the “real” data collection mode. I have been publishing and republishing and then deleting test data over and over. Am I missing something?

Thanks for the help!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
IsmaelChivite
Esri Notable Contributor

Question: How/Can I use the same basic survey, but have it go out via multiple "trusted" sources, but in the end only have a single data layer, with minimal steps on my part. Is there a workflow for this?

Answer: If using Survey123 Connect, you can build multiple surveys on top of a single feature layer. Ideally you will want to design a 'Parent' survey containing all the possible questions and choices to be found across the different surveys, and then create 'Child' surveys that point to the 'Parent' source layer.  Try the following:

1. Create your parent survey and publish it
  2. Then create a new survey from the feature layer of the parent survey
  3. From the Connect gallery, do a save as of your parent survey to create your first child survey
  4. Get the submission_url and form_id values from the survey you created in step 2 and paste them into your child survey
  5. Do a save us of your child survey to create the second child survey
  6. Share your child surveys with people. Do not share the parent survey

Question: If I am optimistic, and were to roll out state wide and get good response rates, what is the record limitations of Survey123?

Answer: I doubt you will get close to any limits. Survey123 is used routinely to support public surveys with high concurrency. It is built for that.

Question: How do I push out a custom map extent of a county or school district poly, in the map to present the public an area they immediately recognize and lessen the mistrust issue?

Answer: In Survey123 Connect, use the Map tab to define the initial extent and zoom level of the map.  You may also want to consider not showing a map at all. For example, you could display a list of ZIP codes and then calculate the centroids to populate the geopoint question. In this way, you simplify the user experience (people struggle with maps) and preserve privacy.

Question: Within the survey, would like to show a graphic of the broadband speed test, with highlighted circles showing the information we would like them to input into the survey? Basically, an instructional que graphic. I see the image function, but it fits an infrastructure inspection workflow to take a picture or browse to an existing picture. (See attached)

Answer: You can add an image using a note type of question anywhere within the smart form. However, if you want to get fancy, you may want to consider something like what is shown here: https://community.esri.com/t5/arcgis-survey123-blog/introducing-the-survey123-web-app-javascript-api...

Question: Instead of going straight to Publish, couldn’t there be a beta area to push the survey out prior to the “real” data collection mode. I have been publishing and republishing and then deleting test data over and over. Am I missing something?

Answer: I do not think you are missing anything. When you click on Publish, it really publishes! For testing, I like to work on a 'test' survey and when I am happy, I publish the real thing. That is, a separate survey.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
IsmaelChivite
Esri Notable Contributor

Answer: If using Survey123 Connect, you can build multiple surveys on top of a single feature layer. Ideally you will want to design a 'Parent' survey containing all the possible questions and choices to be found across the different surveys, and then create 'Child' surveys that point to the 'Parent' source layer.  Try the following:

1. Create your parent survey and publish it
  2. Then create a new survey from the feature layer of the parent survey
  3. From the Connect gallery, do a save as of your parent survey to create your first child survey
  4. Get the submission_url and form_id values from the survey you created in step 2 and paste them into your child survey
  5. Do a save us of your child survey to create the second child survey
  6. Share your child surveys with people. Do not share the parent survey

Answer: I doubt you will get close to any limits. Survey123 is used routinely to support public surveys with high concurrency. It is built for that.

Answer: In Survey123 Connect, use the Map tab to define the initial extent and zoom level of the map.  You may also want to consider not showing a map at all. For example, you could display a list of ZIP codes and then calculate the centroids to populate the geopoint question. In this way, you simplify the user experience (people struggle with maps) and preserve privacy.

Answer: You can add an image using a note type of question anywhere within the smart form. However, if you want to get fancy, you may want to consider something like what is shown here: https://community.esri.com/t5/arcgis-survey123-blog/introducing-the-survey123-web-app-javascript-api...

Answer: I do not think you are missing anything. When you click on Publish, it really publishes! For testing, I like to work on a 'test' survey and when I am happy, I publish the real thing. That is, a separate survey.