Survey123 website data field visibility by viewer group

Jump to solution
03-31-2021 04:04 PM
Unschuur
New Contributor II

Hi all,

On the Survey123 website, how do you limit the fields that a certain viewer group can see and export?  I've got 2 user groups and I'd like to limit the fields visible for one user group.

I've heard of layer views, but I'm not sure how to apply that to one survey on the Survey123 website.

I know fields can be limited in a web map view, and so then in a related web map app the fields visible and exportable can be controlled.

Maybe I need to allow the user to download a layer view of the dataset but not use the Survey123 website.  There's so many online ways to deal with the data now I'm not sure what is the best app or tool for so many functions.  

Thanks,

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
UriGilad_EsriAu
Esri Contributor

Hi @Unschuur ,

My solution above will hide fields for group B when they fill the survey, but you're right - viewing through the Survey123 web interface assumes they have certain rights that allow them to see all fields. As you mentioned, a Web App will probably be your best solution.  

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
UriGilad_EsriAu
Esri Contributor

Hi @Unschuur,

Create two view layers from your master layer. View A shared only with group A and View B shared only with group B.

Duplicate your survey. Make survey A submit to View layer A. Make survey B submit to survey B (in submission URL in setting sheet in xlsf).

On AGOL, in the view layer 'Visualization' page, determine which fields are viewable for each view layer: 

ugilad_esriau_0-1617242976187.png

Give survey A to group A and survey B to group B. 

Whatever they submit will end up in your master layer for you/administrator to view and edit, but they will only be able to see what's on their view layer.

Hope this helps, 

Uri

If this answer solved your question or if you found it helpful please mark it accordingly to help others who have the same question.

0 Kudos
RobertBorchert
Frequent Contributor III

Good idea. 

Or have the first question be for the person to select their group. Suggest a domain question 

then use the Choice filter to determine if a row is visible. 

0 Kudos
RobertBorchert
Frequent Contributor III

Opps Use the Relevant Field

The Choice Filter selects the possible options.

0 Kudos
Unschuur
New Contributor II

Thank you Uri.

I tried but I think I did not follow the instructions correctly.

In a crunch I may just have to create a web map app for the user to download the table with reduced fields showing.

For the record, this is what I tried:

A stakeholder view gets created automatically when you share survey results on the survey123 website, so that is what I used for the full survey table view in the Survey123 website, and I considered that my view A for the A group (full table of fields).  I created a view B layer too from the master layer, for fewer fields.  Then before publishing the duplicated survey, I did copy the URL from the feature view B I created from my master layer. The URL was from the details page of the view layer B.  I published the second duplicate survey and then reduced the viewable fields in the view B layer ("define fields").  I shared the survey B results (not the form, I don' t need two forms to submit data) with the one group (B) that should not see all the fields.  Still I get all the fields showing in the survey123 website data tab for the duplicate survey B.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
UriGilad_EsriAu
Esri Contributor

Hi @Unschuur ,

My solution above will hide fields for group B when they fill the survey, but you're right - viewing through the Survey123 web interface assumes they have certain rights that allow them to see all fields. As you mentioned, a Web App will probably be your best solution.  

0 Kudos