Survey123 Time Card Solution?

Jump to solution
07-23-2019 11:11 AM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

I've created a Survey123 app which employees can submit their time card hours with. I'm looking for a way that a foreman can open this data into another Survey123 app to review and sign off on this data. I would also like to implement a notification system which would email the foreman when a new time card is ready for verification. 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Anthony,

Yes, both of these requests are possible.

Using the Inbox feature in Survey123 field app you can have a foreman review and approve surveys that have been submitted by other users, and use attributes to only query and display those surveys that need to be approved by that signed in user (foreman). You will need to configure your original survey that employees fill out to have the required fields to make this possible, and then create a second survey based on the same feature service that has the additional fields for the foreman and Inbox enabled.

As for notifications, Survey123 supports sending webhook for both adding and editing records, so this can be configured with a third party webhook provider to set up your required notifications such as email, sms, posting to another system etc.

Phil.

View solution in original post

9 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Anthony,

Yes, both of these requests are possible.

Using the Inbox feature in Survey123 field app you can have a foreman review and approve surveys that have been submitted by other users, and use attributes to only query and display those surveys that need to be approved by that signed in user (foreman). You will need to configure your original survey that employees fill out to have the required fields to make this possible, and then create a second survey based on the same feature service that has the additional fields for the foreman and Inbox enabled.

As for notifications, Survey123 supports sending webhook for both adding and editing records, so this can be configured with a third party webhook provider to set up your required notifications such as email, sms, posting to another system etc.

Phil.

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks!

0 Kudos
EricMoody2
New Contributor

My boss came to me this morning asking if we can come up with something similar to this approach. Any chance of sharing your methodology???

Thanks, 

Eric

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Eric,

Are you able to provide more information about what you are trying to achieve and the workflow, what gets created as the initial data collection, and what needs to be signed off? Also how simple or complex if you survey? Do you have repeats, images etc.

Basically you just need to create two different surveys based on the same feature service (dataset) and only include in each survey the fields/questions you want that user or reviewer to see and interact with. The Inbox only needs to be enabled on the second survey (for the reviewer) and you can make questions read only or removed if they are not needed. You can then add additional questions for approving it after review, or send back to submitter. This can be done by setting up Inbox queries.

Regards,

Phil.

0 Kudos
EricMoody2
New Contributor

Hello Phil,

With what I’ve been told, it should be a pretty simple survey with the responsible foreman entering his employee(s) hours worked . I’m sure there needs to be the ability to enter sick, vacation, etc. also…. I’m assuming that I will setup the employees to be viewed by the foreman by relevant expressions, but am wondering how to setup the time equations. Also, this will be my first attempt at utilizing the inboxes….

Thanks,

Eric

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Eric,

Please attempt to set up your survey and data schema and create the 2 surveys with the questions you want included. If you run into any issues, or have further questions, please share your xlsx files and we can take a look and try to provide any further advice or help.

Regards,

Phil.

0 Kudos
KarimNaguib
New Contributor III

Hello Phil,

I followed the above methodology but ran into an issue, I have a feeling it is based on my original form structure.  On my original time entry form, I have 3 pages:

Page 1 - Employee enters their name and date they worked. Simple entry
Page 2 - Projects and Equipment used - This is a bit complex.  Projects is a repeat, and inside of that repeat, I have Equipment Used, so that the equipment hours can be associated with a project.  So essentially, a repeat in a repeat.
Page 3 - shows the summary of the equipment and work hours and gives user a place to verify and sign off on their hours.

On the supervisor survey, I am showing the same fields, but also showing two additional fields - approval status, and supervisor name.  Pages 1 and 3 data populate the 2nd survey as expected, however, everything within the 2 repeated sections is left blank when opened in the supervisor's version.  

Is there a limitation that doesn't pass Repeated data over?  That is really the key to making it work for us.

Thanks Phil,

Karim

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi @KarimNaguib,

Yes, there are some known issues with nested repeats and loading existing data. If you are using calculations and relevance, this could be the cuase.

Are you able to share your two surveys (XLSForms and media folder files used for both) and any instructions to ensure I can set up the survey and repro the issue.

Regards,

Phil.

0 Kudos
KarimNaguib
New Contributor III

Thanks Phil,

I was able to get this working after reading a few more posts.  The missing piece in my XLSForm was the bind::esri:parameters to "allowUpdates=true query='1=1'".  Once I got this added and republished, the reporting began to work as expected.

Thanks again,
Karim