Survey123 security questions

Jump to solution
06-24-2021 08:52 AM
ChrisRingo
Occasional Contributor

Greetings all,

I have a question regarding securing survey results. We are using Survey123 for data collection in some agronomic field trials across several US universities. I have all cooperators set up in a single AGOL group that is invitation only, and only group members can submit and view survey records.

Some participant universities would prefer that only their institution can view their data until they have the chance to ensure it's integrity. They generally have multiple students entering data, and I have initially said that each person collecting data needs to have a separate AGOL account. Now I am questioning that approach though, because in this case in which an institution has multiple students entering data, but that data needs to subsequently be checked by someone else, then how can I set up the security to allow that?

So my question is, should I have each institution set up a single AGOL account from which to enter data? And, if I take that approach, can multiple devices be used to enter survey records using the same account, possibly simultaneously?

Thanks, hopefully the question was clear...

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Using one master account does work but it would almost definitely break the licensing rules (not sure since you are a university).  Plus you lose all editor tracking and have no idea who did what.

One way we use is to have a field with something like "Ready to Field QA" and we also have "Ready for Office QA".  Or even one status type field to show where it is in the process. Then you can use a web map filter or to be more secure a View layer.  Then each level only sees what is ready.

Hope that helps

View solution in original post

2 Replies
DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Using one master account does work but it would almost definitely break the licensing rules (not sure since you are a university).  Plus you lose all editor tracking and have no idea who did what.

One way we use is to have a field with something like "Ready to Field QA" and we also have "Ready for Office QA".  Or even one status type field to show where it is in the process. Then you can use a web map filter or to be more secure a View layer.  Then each level only sees what is ready.

Hope that helps

ChrisRingo
Occasional Contributor

Thanks Doug, that sounds a really good way to handle it - definitely don't care for multiple user logins, and I didn't want to lose editor tracking for sure.  I can run that idea past our cooperators.

0 Kudos