Survey123 not supporting names with spaces in multiple choice selects

08-14-2018 06:37 AM
JAVIERVARA_SANZ
Occasional Contributor II

Good morning.

I've been running through this type of issue for quite a bit of time and would like to know if it could be possible to allow names with spaces in multiple choice selects, as well as allowing to store this data with spaces between each selection (e.g. "Option 1, Option 2, Option 3", rather than "Option1,Option2,Option3"). This will be highly beneficial when producing reports or tables that contain this information.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
IsmaelChivite
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi Javier. It is not possible to add spaces in the name of a choice.

0 Kudos
MikeFiguray
New Contributor III

Is there possibly a way to pull the data out of the select_multiple field and reformat it with spaces into another field? I'm having the same issue as Javier. When creating reports in ArcGIS Pro the lack of spaces is problematic.

0 Kudos
JamesTedrick
Esri Esteemed Contributor

HI Mike,

A possible work around would be to have a calculate field for each choice that is populated if a given choice is selected - that would allow you to populate whatever text you would want.

0 Kudos
MarcCavallaro
New Contributor III

James can you expand on this?  I have an inspection survey that has a multiple select that needs to store the same values as the web application that we are integrating with. Basically we need Survey123 needs to be able to pass the values into one field as a comma delimited string with spaces. 

DeanMacbain
New Contributor II

Hi @JamesTedrick 

Did you mean add another calculate field below the "select_multiple" that populates the text based on selection (Could you provide some example logic to populate text as comma seperated?)?

Or is there a way to add an expression in the select_multiple that converts upon submission?

Appreciate your help.

0 Kudos