Survey123 is it possible to upload original resolution photos?

12-27-2017 01:30 PM
MichaelMerriman
New Contributor

My survey staff has to take pictures of labels that have lots of detailed information. When they are uploaded to Survey123 much of the photos become lower resolution and lots of the information is too blurry to read. Is there a way to have the original photo size uploaded?

0 Kudos
24 Replies
MartinBjørkenes
Esri Contributor

Hi John,

Any update on the status of this bug? We are experiencing the same issue. We are running the latest release of Survey123 for ArcGIS in Windows 10. We are using rugged field laptops with 8 mp camera. When using the camera through Survey123, the image taken is reduced to 2 mp quality. When submitting an image that was previously taken using the Windows 10 Camera App, it is uploaded without loss of relsolution.

I hope this issue will be resolved soon, as our customer really needs the full resolution images as part of their submitted surveys.

Thanks,

Martin

JohnathanHasthorpe
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Martin

We are hoping to get this addressed for 3.1 of Survey123. Unfortunately, were not able to get this addressed in time for 3.0.

Thanks

John 

0 Kudos
AnthonyRyanEQL
Occasional Contributor III

Johnathan,

Are you able to confirm that V3.1 will be the next release of Survey123 after the initial V3.0 release? I'm trying to get a feel of when this bug will be fixed so I can plan/test it with our ArcGIS Enterprise V10.6 on-premise Portal project coming in the next few months.

Thanks

0 Kudos
IsmaelChivite
Esri Notable Contributor

Anthony Ryan‌ : This issue is planned to be addressed through a hot fix release which will be made available before the end of August 2018. Stay tuned for news, as we will be announcing the availability of this hot fix in this GeoNet Group.

ClaireWood
New Contributor III

Hi,

Just to raise that we are also experiencing this issue when using the camera through Survey123, the image taken is reduced to 2 mp quality but when submitting an image that was previously taken using the Windows 10 Camera App, it is uploaded without loss of resolution.  

We are using rugged field laptops with 8 mp camera with Windows 10, and are still getting the issue with the November 2018 St Kilda Penguin release.  Any update?

Thanks,
Claire 

0 Kudos
JohnathanHasthorpe
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Claire

On some Windows devices (such as Surface Book) the AppStudio framework used by Survey123 returns a maximum size of 1920 x 1080. This is a known limitation of the app.

Thanks

John

0 Kudos
CoryBolen1
New Contributor III

Hi Johnathan Hasthorpe - Any update on the previously discussed bug of photos not saving high resolution when set to unrestricted in Survey123 Connect.  I am taking photos with an iphone 10 and iphone 6 and both end in the same result of poor image quality in Survey123.  Also, I am currently on version 3.5.157?  Thanks for any update or ideas that you might be able to provide?  Seems like it is still a bug?

0 Kudos
JamesTedrick
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Cory,

Do the image question have the 'annotate' appearance or have a watermark specified?  Either of those would rescale the image.

CoryBolen1
New Contributor III

Thanks James, that was the culprit.

0 Kudos
ChrissySeabourne
New Contributor

Hi James, where do i find whether the "annotate" appearance or have a watermark specified setting is please?  I cant see that setting in the Image tab of Survey123 Connect.

0 Kudos