Select to view content in your preferred language

Survey123 Inbox - "attributes and geometry" editing

Jump to solution
04-11-2023 05:40 AM
ChristopherCounsell
MVP Regular Contributor

Hi,

I want to disable the geometry update editing setting so fieldworkers can't move a point. I also want to include that in the Survey they download to their Inbox to update the attributes.

Doing this gives an [object Object] error for the location address in the instance name. It also throws a 400 error tied to editing permissions in the logs. Re-enabling both "attributes and geometry" for the View editing settings allows the point to be submitted OK.

Occurs even if the point location is set to null.

Is this expected behaviour? Do both attributes and geometry need to be enabled for the Survey123 Inbox to work?

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ChristopherCounsell
MVP Regular Contributor

Have lodged this with support under 

ENH-000158733: Provide the ability to edit existing Survey123 records via Inbox as a non-owner/non-administrator if the feature layer has allowGeometryUpdates set to false and the geopoint question is read-only/null.

Survey123 Inbox submissions always apply an edit to the geometry, even when none is present in the survey form. So tehy require allow geometry updates in the feature service settings.

This makes the Feature Service not secure outside of Survey123, as users can go and add the service to a map or interact with the REST API to reposition the work locations. We don't want users to have the capacity to do this at all, and Survey123's requirements expose the data settings.

At some level this renders Survey123 Inbox workflows non-viable for our business needs.

@ZacharySutherby 

View solution in original post

5 Replies
ZacharySutherby
Esri Regular Contributor

Hello @ChristopherCounsell

You can make your geometry question readonly when the survey is in edit mode by setting pulldata("@property", 'mode') = 'edit' in the readonly column. 

Thank you,
Zach
ChristopherCounsell
MVP Regular Contributor

Thanks Zach.

The question is read only. Geometry updates are disabled.

Submitting it returns a 400 error on applying the edit. Enabling geometry updates allows submission.

It seems that survey123 is actually attempting to update the geometry with the same value?

I don't want to expose geometry updates at a view level.

0 Kudos
MobiusSnake
MVP

I could be mistaken (this was a while back), but I think I got around something like this once by changing the geometry question's bind::esri:fieldType value to null.  It should still load the geometry into the form but it won't try to send it back.

ChristopherCounsell
MVP Regular Contributor

That was my thoughts - but after changing it to null and updating the form, I was still seeing the error.

0 Kudos
ChristopherCounsell
MVP Regular Contributor

Have lodged this with support under 

ENH-000158733: Provide the ability to edit existing Survey123 records via Inbox as a non-owner/non-administrator if the feature layer has allowGeometryUpdates set to false and the geopoint question is read-only/null.

Survey123 Inbox submissions always apply an edit to the geometry, even when none is present in the survey form. So tehy require allow geometry updates in the feature service settings.

This makes the Feature Service not secure outside of Survey123, as users can go and add the service to a map or interact with the REST API to reposition the work locations. We don't want users to have the capacity to do this at all, and Survey123's requirements expose the data settings.

At some level this renders Survey123 Inbox workflows non-viable for our business needs.

@ZacharySutherby