Survey123 hangs on Loading Survey screen when opening from Field Maps via URL Scheme

734
3
Jump to solution
03-23-2023 03:32 AM
GarethBaker1
Occasional Contributor III

I have a layer in a Field Maps map which has the pop-up configured to display two links to Survey123. The links are identical except for the itemid of the survey form that I want to open up.  They both pass across three fields for pre-population which are set up the same way on both forms.

As far as I can tell I am following the guidance in this page correctly
Integrate with other apps—ArcGIS Survey123 | Documentation

Clicking on the link for survey 1 results in Survey123 opening but just hanging on the Loading Survey screen. The same behaviour happens whether I have S123 open beforehand or not. I've also tried deleting the survey and downloading again in case it was device specific (which is confirmed by other users having the same issue). I'm using the URLencode function in Arcade to ensure there are no dodgy characters.

arcgis-survey123://?itemID=5ec2c0f7d2834fc780255663258050fa&field:site_location=Creechbarrow%20Road&field:developer_name=Taunton%20Deane%20Borough%20Council&field:site_reference=156592

If I remove the pre-populated fields info then the survey opens fine. The fields are all strings and not used in any calculations.

Clicking on the link for survey 2 works fine

arcgis-survey123://?itemID=a9047ca25ef641c89b54320d70f86540&field:site_location=Creechbarrow%20Road&field:developer_name=Taunton%20Deane%20Borough%20Council&field:site_reference=156592

The behaviour sounds quite similar to some of the cases that people have posted about here
Solved: Field App to Survey123 Url Scheme stopped working ... - Esri Community

So it does make me think that there is something specific about the functionality of the first survey that is causing the problem?  Both surveys were built with Connect v3.15.165 so I guess I should try updating to 3.17 as the next step.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
GarethBaker1
Occasional Contributor III

Thanks for the useful replies and apologies for the delay in responding. I did try upgrading the forms to the latest versions of Survey123 Connect but it made no difference.

I've now been able to work out the cause of the problem which was down to the presence of a hidden field in a repeat on my form. It had a calculated value of position(..) to be used in reporting to ensure that the repeats appear in the same order as they were entered (couldn't use the last edited date as they all get the same time at the point of upload).

Changing it to a visible integer field seems to have fixed the linking now. Not sure if this is a bug but I can't see anything in the known issues section of the documentation.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
ChristopherCounsell
MVP Regular Contributor

Yeah, would definitely recommend upgrading Survey123 Connect to latest, publishing the survey so it's latest form, and then also updating the Survey123 field app. We have on a rare occasion been stung by upgrading but the new functionality and fixes are well worth it, especially when you accidentally leverage more recently released tech.

The latest release of Survey123 Connect has an analyze survey button.

For your issue it will help significantly if you share the XLSForm. You could also try capturing the logs on the field app and sharing those.

0 Kudos
DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor

There have been a few posts about issues when using Arcade for this.  Have you seen this post as one of them  https://community.esri.com/t5/arcgis-survey123-documents/create-survey123-urls-using-arcade/ta-p/100... 

0 Kudos
GarethBaker1
Occasional Contributor III

Thanks for the useful replies and apologies for the delay in responding. I did try upgrading the forms to the latest versions of Survey123 Connect but it made no difference.

I've now been able to work out the cause of the problem which was down to the presence of a hidden field in a repeat on my form. It had a calculated value of position(..) to be used in reporting to ensure that the repeats appear in the same order as they were entered (couldn't use the last edited date as they all get the same time at the point of upload).

Changing it to a visible integer field seems to have fixed the linking now. Not sure if this is a bug but I can't see anything in the known issues section of the documentation.