Survey123 Generate Report Error when Attachments Included

Jump to solution
04-25-2018 08:08 AM
JoshuaHellman
New Contributor III

I am having issues when I try to generate a report in Survey123 with attachments on my feature service. I have a feature with a signature field and also fields to take or attach photos on the end of my report. I am using a feature service to publish my results and collect data, which works great. When I open the survey online under the Data tab to generate a custom loaded report it fails. I have noticed even just by clicking a feature in the default ESRI pop-up window you can print from, there are the same attachments displayed 10 times throughout the print window. In this case I have 10 group sections in my survey, and at the end of each group the same attachments display.  So when I try to generate a report from a custom saved report template, it also fails when attachments are present.

The message is just "An error occurred while generating report." No other details are given.

I have noticed if I add a feature without attachments the report will successfully generate.

A few days ago I was able to get the output report I wanted with attachments included, but now it's been nothing but the same error every time when attachments are involved. I cleared my browser history and data.  I even started from scratch and rebuilt the Survey123 XLSForm.

Thanks for any help!

Josh

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
BrandonArmstrong
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Joshua,

As explained via email, after taking a look at your XLSForm, I see that you are writing to an ArcGIS Server service.  Unfortunately, the ability to reference attachments from a service hosted on ArcGIS Server or ArcGIS Portal is not currently supported when generating Reports from the Survey123 website.  Although this has been given preferential priority to address, there is not an exact timeline for when this capability will be implemented.

The limitation regarding attachments with image questions when generating reports from Portal services is listed in this Blog.

The same issue that is preventing attachments from being utilized in Reports is also likely causing the duplication of Photos in the Individual Response window.  Again, we are working to enable these capabilities as soon as possible.

Please let me know if you have any questions regarding this information.

Best Regards,

Brandon

View solution in original post

22 Replies
CarolynKeagle1
New Contributor II

I am having a similar issues (some attachments displayed repeatedly, reports failing to generate), though sometimes records without attachments also fail to generate. This is for forms that worked previously as well as for a stripped down version of the forms. I'm usually getting the error  Http failure response for (unknown url): 0 Unknown Error

Report generation also seems to take a long time. Is this because of the servers filling up issue? Is my form too large (I do have a repeat section in it)? Are my attachments too large or internet connection too slow? Have I formatted my form incorrectly? 

I can't go live with my survey until I can reliably print reports; any thoughts would be appreciated. 

TexasMike
New Contributor III

Similar issue for us as well. Single attachment displaying multiple times , report fails to generate.

JoshuaHellman
New Contributor III

Since I posted this I still haven't been able to get the generate report to work with attachments.  I've tried a couple other things and the error never changes.  Even if I don't have the attachments on the report document, it still creates the same error because of the attachments associated in the feature class.  

Creating this report is important for what we are trying to do.

0 Kudos
TexasMike
New Contributor III

It's been a headache for us as well.

In the release notes referenced in the 2.8 update to the field app it mentions the website will be updated in a few weeks. We're hoping it will be fixed there. See this blog post https://community.esri.com/groups/survey123/blog/2018/05/16/minor-update-to-the-survey123-field-app-... 

0 Kudos
BrandonArmstrong
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Joshua Hellman‌, Carolyn Keagle‌, and michael crabtree‌,

If you are able, please upload an example XLSForm that can reproduce this issue to this thread, or send it to me at barmstrong AT esri.com and I would be happy to look into this further.

Thanks,

Brandon

0 Kudos
JoshuaHellman
New Contributor III

Thanks for your reply Brandon.  I emailed you an example of the template I am using and the survey.

It also adds the image attachments multiple times in the default ESRI pop-up window if you click on any feature in the Data Tab.

Thanks!

Josh

0 Kudos
CarolynKeagle1
New Contributor II

Hi, Brandon - I've also emailed you a copy of our problem survey. We are on AGOL, however.

0 Kudos
BrandonArmstrong
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Joshua,

As explained via email, after taking a look at your XLSForm, I see that you are writing to an ArcGIS Server service.  Unfortunately, the ability to reference attachments from a service hosted on ArcGIS Server or ArcGIS Portal is not currently supported when generating Reports from the Survey123 website.  Although this has been given preferential priority to address, there is not an exact timeline for when this capability will be implemented.

The limitation regarding attachments with image questions when generating reports from Portal services is listed in this Blog.

The same issue that is preventing attachments from being utilized in Reports is also likely causing the duplication of Photos in the Individual Response window.  Again, we are working to enable these capabilities as soon as possible.

Please let me know if you have any questions regarding this information.

Best Regards,

Brandon

TomFewless
New Contributor

Is it possible to work around this issue to get most of a report generated?  I have removed the repeated geocode call from the template yet it still generates an error. I don't understand why it is failing if the template does not even request this information to be filled.

0 Kudos