Survey123 export

10-28-2022 01:11 AM
NkatekoMARIMA
New Contributor

I have a survey123 form created and it has data captured on it. I want to know if it is possible to export the survey to excel and have different field names from the ones that are on the survey.  In other words, I want to use different field names on the survey and exported excel but have the same information captured.  The survey users say the field names are confusing after exporting to excel, but they want the field names not to change on the survey. If possible, how do I do it.

Thanks 

Nkateko

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Andy_CS
New Contributor III

How are you exporting the data to excel (i.e Pro/Map or directly from AGOL)?

0 Kudos
NkatekoMARIMA
New Contributor

I am exporting from the Survey123 web

0 Kudos
Andy_CS
New Contributor III

As far as I am aware the Survey123 website will export the survey to excel using the values specified as labels during design (or possibly bind::esri:fieldAlias values if you specifed them in the desktop builder) . And if you export from the item details page in AGOL field names are used.

You could:

• create a view of your survey hosted feature layer in AGOL
  • alter the field display names of the view
  • load this layer into ArcGIS pro
  • Run the Table to Excel tool with the layer as the input and making sure the 'Use field alias as column header' box is checked

The view will be linked to your surey hosted feature layer and will update as your survey gets new responses.

See:

https://doc.arcgis.com/en/arcgis-online/manage-data/create-hosted-views.htm

and describe each field section of:

https://doc.arcgis.com/en/arcgis-online/manage-data/work-with-fields.htm

0 Kudos
NkatekoMARIMA
New Contributor

Hello, sorry for taking too long to reply. I tried following the steps to create the hosted feature layer view and altered the field display. When I export the survey to excel, it does not show the changes I made on the layer view. But the changes are there on the results of the Table To Excel tool. How do I make sure the changes on the Field display name are incorporated on the survey, or how do I export the report (is it from the hosted feature layer or hosted feature layer view).

0 Kudos
Andy_CS
New Contributor III

If you want to export to excel using altered field names you will have to export the view you have created from ArcGIS Pro/ArcMap.

Survey123 Web will not export the view, it will export from the survey hosted feature layer.

I do not know about exporting Reports.

0 Kudos
NkatekoMARIMA
New Contributor

Thank you very much, I will use ArcGIS Pro/ArcMap to export.

0 Kudos