Select to view content in your preferred language

Survey123 fails accessibility checks. How to fix?

03-13-2024 05:06 AM
TheoF
by
New Contributor II

Hello,

We have a very simple 5 question Survey123 application containing a map-based question followed by a couple of multiple choice questions.

Our comms team have run it through an accessibility checker and it shows several fail errors, meaning they won't allow the Survey123 to be published and shared with the public. As far as I'm aware, there is minimal functionality to improve accessibility requirements for Survey123 (and other ArcGIS Online web apps...).

What are my options? Is there an official statement or document from Esri which I can send to my comms team to re-assure them that the app is indeed accessible?

Thanks

WAVE accessibility tool shows these errors (the low contrast relate to the red asterisks against a white background that appear next to required questions):

TheoF_0-1710331493776.png

Tags (2)
2 Replies
ZacharySutherby
Esri Regular Contributor

Hello @TheoF

Esri has an Accessibility site that details each products conformance report as well as provides means to contact our accessibility team with any questions or concerns. 

Here is the conformance report for the Survey123 web app. I'm not sure what each exact error is, but based on some in the screen capture, they may be under the control for the form author. Things like contrast can be modified by updating the surveys theme. For things that have missing labels if they are not in use they can be hidden by using URL parameters. 

Thank you,
Zach
0 Kudos
TheoF
by
New Contributor II

Hi Zach,

Thanks, I've seen that site and report but it doesn't cover my issues in any detail or how to remediate them.

Take for example the low contrast errors: when a Survey123 question is a required question type, a red asterisk appears next to the question. There is no way to change this to black and therefore fix the issue.

The missing/empty label errors- I'll try fiddle with the parameters, but many elements (header, footer etc.) are already hidden in the app design stage. I'll keep tweaking though...

0 Kudos