Survey123 excessive load time with CSV file

11-02-2018 09:32 PM
BurlingtonStrachan1
New Contributor

I am using the pulldata function of suvey123 with a csv file of approx. 6MB.  Since adding this function the load time of the survey has increased from seconds to hours.  Is this normal for a file of this size.  The device I am using has over 40Gb of available space and the load is being done over a 100Mb wifi connection.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Burlington,

How many rows of data are in the CSV file? We are aware of issues with slow load times and performance with large choice lists and using pulldata() with external csv files. Could you please share your xlsx file and external csv file so we can take a closer look?

Regards,

Phil.

0 Kudos
PaigeRichardson
New Contributor

Hi Phil,

We are also running into this problem on mobile devices accessing the survey from safari browser. Did ESRI happen to find a solution or workaround to this slow load time using the 'select_one_from_file' field type? (We are using the pulldata() function to hit a csv with 4 columns approximately 40,000 rows - 6MB in size).

Thanks!

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi @PaigeRichardson,

In the latest release we have made signifcant improvement to using large choice lists and select one from file in the Survey123 field app. We utilize improved database performance, cahcing and indexing to achieve this. Unfortunately the web app can not use the same techniques due to the nature of the browser, and while some improvements have been made to increase performance, the time it takes to load a survey with 40,000 records in a list, will still be significantly impacted in a web browser.

Refer to the following blog for the latest 3.12 release and updates:

https://community.esri.com/t5/arcgis-survey123-blog/what-s-new-in-arcgis-survey123-february-2021/ba-...

Regards,

Phil.

0 Kudos
DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Are you in a repeat?  I had this issue for months and finally tracked it down.

If you have a drop down in a repeat and that drop down has a choice_filter that uses a field that (like fulllist=${fulllist})  and that field is also in the repeat it is super slow.  All I did was move the field used in the choice_filter outside of the repeat and my form went from 20 seconds to 1!

Check to see if you are doing this.

tomhughson
New Contributor III

Hi Doug, I also have a slow-loading web-form and came across your answer above from over a year ago. However, the field I have in the choice filter is already outside the repeat (as shown below). I can't really follow how this would improve the loading time for the form but do you still believe that this type of scenario was causing your form to load slowly or with the passage of time do you think it was something else? Thanks in advance, Tom.

0 Kudos
DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor

In my case it was a select_one external.  You just have a regular choice list.  If your list is long moving it to external_choices should help a lot.  So that could be it.  Start there.

Hope that helps

0 Kudos