Select to view content in your preferred language

Survey123 default date format

08-08-2018 11:03 PM
NaomiBegg2
Occasional Contributor III

Here I am with yet another date format issue.

I have a date question in my survey.  I have asked for the appearance to be Day, month and year. I would like to have the submitting date as my default.

Sounds great ... BUT the default date is coming up in the American format rather than the common format for my region.  This will lead to confusion for whoever uses the survey thinking they are entering the wrong date and therefore the survey will not be used.

Within our organisation settings we have specified our region.  It would be great if it would pick up this and use an appropriate date format (or even a global standard).

Is there anyway I can fix this?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
22 Replies
ColinCampbell
Occasional Contributor

Just to say that it would be extremely useful if this bug got fixed.  We're working on surveys for use by the general public and we're having to use three fields - a separate one for date, month and year - to get around it.  It's not a great fix but the alternative is to have something that confuses our users and could lead to incorrect data being entered/collected.

Also, the synopsis of the bug above seems to suggest the issue is around submitted responses in the attribute table being in US format.  The main issue (assuming they are the same bug) is that the Survey123 web form asks for and displays the date in US format even though an organisation's settings are set to GB format.

0 Kudos
JamesTedrick
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Colin,

There was a separate BUG regarding behavior of the webform - BUG-000112106.  This was addressed in version 3.4, but may not be applicable in the particular case of en-GB - the form is basing format on language code (i.e., label::Español (es) ); you would need to modify your forms to note that the language is English (en_GB) .

ColinCampbell
Occasional Contributor

Hi James,

Many thanks for this.  I’ve given it a go, but it says ‘The follow following language declarations do not contain valid machine-readable codes: English (en_GB).’

I've tried it with French and it works fine though.  Is en_GB perhaps not supported or am I doing something wrong?

0 Kudos
FrancisCorbett
New Contributor II
ZhifangWang
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Colin,

Thanks for your feedback.

The fix to this bug will respect the date and number format setting in the user's profile, and in the Survey123 website/web app, the setting in user's profile takes precedence over the org's setting. Does this make sense to you?

Thanks,

Zhifang 

0 Kudos
ColinCampbell
Occasional Contributor

Hi Zhifang,

To be 100% honest I'm not sure if I does make sense to me anymore 🙂 

I have a public survey which will be used by people in the UK (so needs a dd/mm/yyyy type date format).  My my profile's date settings are for Great Britain, as is my organisation's (see below), and my browser is set up for English (United Kingdom), but the question in the web version of the survey still displays as m/d/yy.  This is the case if I log in using my AGOL account or I do it as a member of the public would (i.e. without signing in at all).

I've tried James' suggestion above and that fixes it if I change it to French (the calendar control is obviously in French though), but if I put in 'English (en_GB)' it won't recognise it.

I don't know if this is related to this bug or another bug - or if I'm just being stupid and doing something wrong!  If there's a way for me to fix it though that would be amazing.

Thanks again

Col

0 Kudos
ZhifangWang
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Colin,

Thanks for the tests and the above information. Unfortunately, there is nothing you can do to make the format works as you expect until we deliver the fix to this bug. You can track the status at BUG-000117569 Survey123 for ArcGIS surveys with internationally formatted date questions display sub....

After fixing, the sequence for deciding the format would be: language setting in the XLSForm (if any) > language/format settings in the user profile in ArcGIS Online > browser setting (for a public survey).

Thanks,

Zhifang

0 Kudos
DataOfficer
Regular Contributor

I have the same issue as illustrated by Colin Campbell‌. We are also running wildlife surveys in Great Britain and require the date format to be dd/mm/yyyy. Any updates as to when this bug will be resolved?
Zhifang Wang

ZhifangWang
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Rob,

Thank you for the feedback. The issue is currently "in consideration" in our backlog, I've added your comment to our internal issue.

In the meantime, it would help to prioritize the issue if you can reach to Esri Support about this bug: BUG-000117569

Thanks,

Zhifang

0 Kudos
RobertDriessen1
New Contributor II

Have we had any progress on this yet.  I have had a frustrating day trying to get my dates display in a non USA format.  I am in Australia and this is a severe limitiation for Survey 123.  I want to use it for applying for a permit for burn registrations.  The users are farmers and if they see 10/11/2020 they are going to assume the date that they can burn is 10 Nov but becuase ofthe misleading date display on the form they have actually requested the date 11 Oct.  Is there some sort of work around please? 

Its worth noting that this problem only occurs when using the form on browsers (chrome firefox ie and edge) on a windows computer.  The form works as expected (dates display correctly) on iphone and android regardless of the browser.