Survey123 - Database Functionality

Jump to solution
03-31-2021 11:36 AM
dgray
by
New Contributor III

Hello,

We need to create a form-based database system to replace an existing, messy, Excel-based system.  The idea would be to use likely multiple forms, one to add new entries to a list of projects, and one to modify existing entries.  I like Survey123's form-based system and the ease of creating report templates that populate using submitted data, the ability to incorporate location, and the ability to create dashboards to monitor things like project status.  I also appreciate the connectivity with Microsoft Power Automate to send e-mails based on a trigger--this is really useful and we'd like to use that.  However, I'm not sure that Survey123 is the best tool for the job and could use some advice.  

1. Is there a way to use a pulldata function to access information from an existing feature service to auto-populate a survey form? 
  2. Can you use a pulldata function to update an existing attribute of a record within an existing feature service?
  3. Can you use a pulldata function to create a picklist in a form based on attributes of an existing feature service?

I know you can use javascript pulldata functions, so I’m hoping there are ways to accomplish this.  I know that in the past some of these things were not yet possible, but I’m hoping to find out both a) what is possible and b) how to accomplish it (I’m generally unfamiliar with javascript so templates or examples of code I could modify would be great).

If Survey123 isn't the right tool for the job, could you suggest inexpensive software that could accomplish this?  We have Microsoft Access, though I don't recall this being a great database software.  Maybe something open-sourced?  

Any help and advice is greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Tags (3)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
dgray
by
New Contributor III

Hmm, ok.  Thank you for the information.  We have a fairly simple database setup need and I'm thinking that MS Access might be able to achieve what I'm looking for, and if that fails, Access as a front end to mySQL.  I'm not very strong with Javascript so I feel that using Survey123 to achieve this result might not be the most effective way to get things done.  This database does not specifically deal with spatial data, so location is not mandatory in our case.  We also do not want to spend thousands of dollars on specialized software.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
RobertBorchert
Frequent Contributor III

I just launched an application that does something similar for our Issue management for Projects. Projects are created in Primavera.  We have automated exporting those Projects from Primavera to a point feature.  The Data Controls Coordinator then selects the project point and then the link  to Survey123.  The survey launches and all the we designated from the point is automatically populated into the Survey row

0 Kudos
dgray
by
New Contributor III

Hi Robert, 

Could you please give more information about how you set that up?  Also, is Primavera expensive?  I guess the main idea for us is to not pay more than we are now to try and set up such a system.

My thoughts are going towards mySQL or PostgreSQL at the moment.  I guess there's more technical back end but they don't cost money.  I could use Access forms as the front end.  I have no idea if these platforms can easily connect to ArcGIS Online or any ArcGIS though.

0 Kudos
RobertBorchert
Frequent Contributor III

Primavera is in the many thousands of dollars are requires a team of experience DBA's to set up an run.  In order to update an existing survey.   You need to add   &mode=edit to the link. Documentation for this is here.

https://doc.arcgis.com/en/survey123/browser/get-answers/editexistingdata.htm

0 Kudos
JamesTedrick
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi @dgray ,

While it is possible to have a  form access and update existing information, it sounds like it would be more useful to use the form in an editing mode.  For information on editing in the field app, refer to Prepare for editing existing survey data in the Survey123 documentation. For editing in the web app, refer to this blog in Esri Community.

In terms of retrieving values, that is possible through the use of custom JavaScript functions.  The ability to populate a picklist is currently in beta in the Survey123 Early Adopter Community.

0 Kudos
dgray
by
New Contributor III

Hmm, ok.  Thank you for the information.  We have a fairly simple database setup need and I'm thinking that MS Access might be able to achieve what I'm looking for, and if that fails, Access as a front end to mySQL.  I'm not very strong with Javascript so I feel that using Survey123 to achieve this result might not be the most effective way to get things done.  This database does not specifically deal with spatial data, so location is not mandatory in our case.  We also do not want to spend thousands of dollars on specialized software.

0 Kudos