Survey123 Connect adding data to existing feature service but not overwriting current data

Jump to solution
12-11-2019 09:04 AM
MarquesMunson1
Occasional Contributor

Hello,

I have an existing feature service containing countries with other attribute data for each country. I used Survey123 Connect to create a survey to update the attribute data. I am successfully able to create and publish the survey, and even when I complete the survey online, I receive a message saying the data is sent successfully. However, the results from the survey are being added to the feature service and not overwriting the existing data, so I have multiple entries now of the same country when submitting the data.

FYI- The supportsApplyEditsWithGlobalIds is already set to true.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Jim-Moore
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Marques

It sounds like you're submitting a new record, as opposed to editing an existing one. It is possible to edit existing records in the web app using URL parameters. Please see this handy blog:

https://community.esri.com/groups/survey123/blog/2019/05/24/survey123-tricks-of-the-trade-editing-re... 

Alternatively, you can browse and edit existing records via the Inbox in the Survey123 field app. For more information:

Prepare for editing existing survey data—Survey123 for ArcGIS | Documentation 

Edit existing survey data—Survey123 for ArcGIS | Documentation 

Hope this helps.

Best regards,
Jim

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Jim-Moore
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Marques

It sounds like you're submitting a new record, as opposed to editing an existing one. It is possible to edit existing records in the web app using URL parameters. Please see this handy blog:

https://community.esri.com/groups/survey123/blog/2019/05/24/survey123-tricks-of-the-trade-editing-re... 

Alternatively, you can browse and edit existing records via the Inbox in the Survey123 field app. For more information:

Prepare for editing existing survey data—Survey123 for ArcGIS | Documentation 

Edit existing survey data—Survey123 for ArcGIS | Documentation 

Hope this helps.

Best regards,
Jim

MarquesMunson1
Occasional Contributor

Hi Jim,

Thanks for the helpful blogs! I am almost where I want to be. I used a combination of the mode and objectId URL parameters and it did update a specific record. My questions are two-fold:

1) how do I set it up so that the objectId can update any record?

2) Do I have to keep typing in the URL parameters every time I want to update a record? How do I make them permanent? I am using the latest version of Survey123 Connect. Do I put this in the XLS form?

Thanks again!

0 Kudos
Jim-Moore
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Marques

Each record in your feature service has a unique objectId; you can access a specific record by modifying the objectId in the URL. The blog covers a way to launch the web app using the correct URL for each record from a pop-up in a web map.

Alternatively, you could browse, select and edit records on the Data tab on the Survey123 website. Or as mentioned you can browse and edit records from the Inbox in the field app (note that the field app can be installed on desktop as well as on a mobile device).

Cheers,
Jim