Select to view content in your preferred language

Survey123 | Appearance | Compact | for Repeats

Jump to solution
09-08-2023 01:24 PM
MichelleWilliamsERM
Frequent Contributor

In previous versions of Survey123

We could compact a repeat, and if the field crew didn’t open the set of questions, the record wouldn’t populate with NULL data.

Version 3.18

This version adds a record of NULL values, which does two things;

• It makes the report ugly by adding a record for the NULL data (unless you add an if statement)
  • It will also charge us more credits for having NULL data in the cloud.

MichelleWilliamsERM_1-1694204478359.png

Let me know if there is a fix in the works for this OR is there something I'm doing wrong?

@MichelleWilliamsERM 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
abureaux
MVP Frequent Contributor

Have you tried adding a select_one yes_no before the repeat? If they want to add records they select yes. This would dynamically hide or show the repeat. I normally do this and make my repeats required. At the absolute least, I find that it makes the interface cleaner and helps promote more reliable data collection.

When a thing isn't relevant, it technically doesn't exist, so the program may see it differently than just a "collapsed repeat". However, I am not sure if this would resolve the null you are seeing, but may be worth a try.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
abureaux
MVP Frequent Contributor

Have you tried adding a select_one yes_no before the repeat? If they want to add records they select yes. This would dynamically hide or show the repeat. I normally do this and make my repeats required. At the absolute least, I find that it makes the interface cleaner and helps promote more reliable data collection.

When a thing isn't relevant, it technically doesn't exist, so the program may see it differently than just a "collapsed repeat". However, I am not sure if this would resolve the null you are seeing, but may be worth a try.

0 Kudos
MichelleWilliamsERM
Frequent Contributor

Thank you,

I didn't even have that on my radar, I will put that into place! Once I make sure it works, I'll mark it as the solution.

: )

0 Kudos