Survey123 App Logging User Out

Jump to solution
06-22-2018 07:39 AM
JoshHabel
Occasional Contributor II

Hello,

My field crews are having issues with the app logging them out and I am wondering if this is a known bug or if there is something else going on with the software or hardware we are using.  So far the issue seems to happen under the following circumstances.

1.   If the device looses cellular signal

2.   If the the crew member receives and answers a call or text

We are using a combination of the latest Ipads and Samsung Galaxy 7&8  phones.  The carrier is Verizon.  So far the only thing we can do is log back on which usually requires driving to a location that has a good signal.  This is very annoying for them and wastes time so i really hope there is a solution in the works.  Off line use is critical in our area where cell signal is spotty at best.

Thanks,

Josh

54 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Kirk,

Can you please expand on the workflow? Does this happen on all devices and for all your users, or just this one? Are they going offline while the app is open, or when the app is closed? Are they using Wifi or 4g/3g when go offline?

With 3.10 a lot of work went into ensuring the user should not get logged out automatically when offline or changing networks, they should stayed logged and can continue to use Survey123 in that state. You will notice this change with the new start screen and login screen that allows you to continue even when offline. You can test this with the username question and see if the value of their username gets populated when they open a form.

Regards,

Phil.

0 Kudos
KirkKirchner1
New Contributor II

Hi Philip,

It's just happening for this one user. The workflow as I understand it is that if the app is closed and they do not have cell service and try opening the app, it will continually try to log them in and won't open the app. They said it used to ask them if they wanted to continue offline but doesn't give that option anymore. It seems to allow them to work offline only if they have the Survey123 app open while they are still in cell service. They are using 4G/3G when they go offline, yes. Let me know if you have any ideas or further questions!

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Kirk,

What about if the device is in flight mode, so that it is properly offline, versus just not having service. Does that make a difference?

Regards,

Phil.

0 Kudos
wxsouth
New Contributor II

Would like to add that we are still experiencing this issue with offline logouts. Our workflow involves damage assessment following severe weather events, so we are often in areas of limited to no cellular coverage. We are using v3.12

The problem seems to manifest in two ways:

1) Forcing the user to log back in (impossible when offline)

2) The user can still access the form, but is not notified that they are not logged in. This is impacting access javascript functions driving the forms, and corrupting data that is eventually submitted from the outbox.

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi @wxsouth,

Can you confirm what devices you are using (Windows/iOS/Android) and what are the OS versions?

Also, what sort of Enterprise environment and authentication do you use (AGO, IWA, SSO etc)?

And lastly, have you logged an issue with Esri Support?

Regards,

Phil.

0 Kudos
Henry
by

This has been affecting our users as well recently - we didn't seem to have much of an issue with it late last year. Often our field crews experience service provider changes or are working offline, and when coming back from the field to our office are prompted to sign in again.

The service interruption and subsequent logout has resulted in some completed surveys disappearing from users' drafts/outbox (their words). On my end I have also experienced seemingly random logouts from Survey123. I have a large commute with likely a few areas of limited to no service so that could be a reason.

It's difficult to track down when/why users are being logged out but it continues to happen - I'll continue to see what the contributing factors are. Would having users save the login information to their devices help at all?

Henry
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi @Henry,

Can you confirm what version of Survey123 field app you are using? Is it the latest 3.12?

Also, are you using Enterprise or ArcGIS Online? If it is Enterprise, what version and what type of authentication (IWA/SSO etc)? Also, do you use VPN and a MDM to manage the devices?

If the user is signed out unexpectantly, no data should be lost if the survey had already been saved to Drafts or Outbox. If the app was closed without saving, that may cause the survey to be lost. But once it is saved, ebing logged in or out has no impact on the saved surveys.

Regards,

Phil.

0 Kudos
Henry
by

It's likely the latest 3.12 version.

We're using an Enterprise deployment on an Azure virtual machine. I believe the authentication type is IWA - users are prompted to sign in first by specifying portal url, and then entering enterprise credentials into the portal login.

It's possible the crew hadn't saved their drafts before they were signed out - haven't looked at all of their devices yet but will check next week.

Henry
NorthlandRegional_Council
New Contributor II
Hello,
Has any solution been found?
Is users being signed out still a known issue?  Wondering if it is related to multi factor authentication as it got much worse after our organization introduced this.
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi @NorthlandRegional_Council,

Are you using ArcGIS Online or Enterprise? And on what devices (make/model/OS version) do you see the sign out issue?

Have you logged an issue with Esri Support yet and do you have an open case?

Regards,

Phil.

0 Kudos