Select to view content in your preferred language

Survey123 and Make(formerly Integromat) and the "Other" option

11-06-2023 04:32 PM
JonathanSkloven-Gill
New Contributor III

I have a scenario set up in Make (formerly Integromat) that is working great...moistly. My hang up is in parsing the submitters' preferred email address to create a confirmation email. 

The question in Survey123 is a select-1 with "Owner",  "Manager", or "Other". The "Other" is from checking the box "Allow "Other"". When submitters click "Other" they're prompted with the new fill in the blank field. 

My scenario works just fine if I select the attribute for "Owner Email" or "Manager Email"... its just the "Other" that is wrenching me.

In the attribute field realm I see 2 distinct fields:

"mail_srt_license_to" and "mail_srt_license_tol_other".

the former is the string data from the select-1, the latter is the email address typed by the submitter.

When I go to Make and create a nested set of IF's to check against these 3 options, I don't get the option to select the "mail_srt_license_tol_other", its not there.

Typing in "1.feature.attributes.mail_srt_license_tol_other" does not work.

When I plug in "mail_srt_license_to" (ESRI Reports know to read the "other" input and print "mail_srt_license_tol_other" in the reports), it returns the string "Other" which won't work as an email address in Make.

JonathanSklovenGill_0-1699316608915.png

How do I find and use this 'missing' attribute?

0 Kudos
1 Reply
abureaux
MVP Regular Contributor

I don't have a solution for "Make" as I tend to use Power Automate these days. But the solution below will work.

I'd recommend two things:

1. Setting up a question in S123 specifically for emails. You can do the logic in S123, and your result will be a standardized field you can simply reference for emails.
  2. Make use of the coalesce() feature for "other" questions where "other" is intended to replace something in a select-1. E.g.,
    abureaux_0-1699376361274.png
    The field in slot #1 takes priority over slot #2, meaning you want your "other" field in that position. That way, if "other" is empty, it defaults to slot #2, but if "other" contains something it defaults to slot #1.

As a bonus for setting up a standardized "email" question for use in all of your surveys, you can set up templates (at least in Power Automate) that use that question and require zero configuration in the future. This makes rapidly developing and deploying new flows quick and easy.