Submission Failure and Duplicate Records

Jump to solution
11-05-2017 03:52 PM
PeterTimmers
Occasional Contributor III

We've had a number of people have the situation where they have gone to submit surveys and S123 says it has failed, they submit again, then we find duplicate records in the feature layer.

We have a feature service hosted on AWS servers and registered on AGOL.

It's not repeatable and I haven't had it happen on any of my tests, but we've had a number of people in different areas had it happen.

We currently rely on a scheduled task to look for duplicates (using S123's unique id field).

It may have to do with photo size and internet connectivity and we've reduced our photo size to reduce the risk.

Has anyone else experienced this?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi @Fernando_LuisRodríguez_Valle,

Thanks for answering those questions. From the logs I don't see anything related to submission errors. From your explanation it sounds as if during the submissions, the network drops out, meaning some or all of the data has been sent for that survey, but the app has not recieved a reply to say it was successful, meaning it gets moved to Sent box. This would eventually cuase an error (timeout) and if you submit again, may cause a duplicate record, as a new globalid would be created. I assume the duplicate you see have different globalids?

The best way to ensure this does not happen, is always save surveys to the Outbox in areas of poor network connection, and only send them when the connection is solid and surveys can be sent without interuption. This is important when you have a lot of images or large attachments in your surveys, as they add to the time it takes to successfully send a survey.

Regards,

Phil.

View solution in original post

13 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Peter,

Short answer, yes, this issue has been experienced by other users and is reproducible with surveys with attachments when the network connection is unstable or slow. Currently the survey record is uploaded first, and then the attachments uploaded. If the attachments fail due to network connection loss, the survey record will already exist in the feature service but with no attachments. When the survey is sent again, it will create a duplicate with the attachments. To avoid this issue, surveys with attachments should be uploaded when the network connection is stable and fast and as you suggest using a smaller photo size is recommended.

We also recommend ensuring that all users have the latest version of the app installed, as we are constantly working on improving this issue and other app related bugs. We currently have a feature enhancement to resolve the upload failure bug, and hope to implement this is a future release.

Regards,

Phil.

JuanLuera3
New Contributor III

Hi Phil,

Would you be able to share either logged Bug's or Enhancement information? We could then track this with Esri Support Services, and for our own records. Thanks, Phil!

Juan

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Juan,

Changes were implemented in version 2.6 and 2.7 of the app to improve the handling of uploading attachments and reduce the occurrence of duplicate survey entries if attachments fail. There was no specific external support bug or enhancement request for this issue, it was implemented as part of our continuous improvement and feature releases. Note that if you are using ArcGIS Online and the last version of the app, you will be using this new method for upload, however if you are using Portal it will depend on the Portal version and whether you have federated services. The feature requires the use uploadids capability to be set to true and supported by the Portal.

Phil.

0 Kudos
PatriciaAlgura
New Contributor III

Hi Phil,

Can this issue also occur to surveys with repeats? Was this issue ever fixed?

Pat

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Pat,

Yes, this issue was fixed as described above, the process of how attachments are uploaded is the same for parent layer or repeats. The attachment is uploaded first, then the feature, and then they are related to each other. That way if there is a failure you will not end up with duplicate attachments to the same feature.

Are you seeing an issue? If so can you share more details about it and the workflow being used?

Regards,

Phil.

0 Kudos
PatriciaAlgura
New Contributor III

Hi Phil,

We had features with duplicate records (repeats) in them. Can I send you an email with the details?

Thanks,

Pat

0 Kudos
epreskienis
New Contributor

Hello, I have the same problem as Patricia. Getting double records after submission. Im using MSflow to records new submissions from Survey123 form. Anyway to fix this? My form also has repeats.

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi @epreskienis,

Can you explain in more detail where you are seeing the double records? In the feature layer being used byt he Survey123 form, if so in the parent layer or related table? Or do you mean in the MSFlow you have created that is submitting data to another source?

Can you provide screenshots or more information to help troubleshoot this?

Regards,

Phil.

0 Kudos
Fernando_LuisRodríguez_Valle
New Contributor II

In our case, in the feature layer used by the Survey123 form, (in the main layer). We don´t use Msflow.

Users have the latest version  application (Survey123) installed

0 Kudos