Stop Survey Data from Entering Feature Layer Table

Jump to solution
03-03-2023 07:38 PM
Eggnoggy1
New Contributor II

Ok, so I have setup a survey in the desktop version of ArcGIS Survey123 Connect. The survey is linked to an existing feature layer in AGOL. I have it setup so end users can input data into the survey and the data goes right into the feature layer's attribute table in AGOL. However, I want to hold the data (somewhere) and be able to review and edit it before it goes into the feature layer's attribute table in AGOL.

Anyone know how to do this? Thank you.

0 Kudos
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
Omar_A
by Esri Contributor
Esri Contributor

Hi, 

One approach to this is to set up a separate survey data table in your ArcGIS Online account to store the data submitted through your Survey123 survey before it is added to your feature layer. So, when users submit data through your Survey123 survey, it will be stored in the separate feature layer you created. Then, you can review and edit the data in this feature layer using the editing tools to make necessary changes. More on this can be found in this link "Edit hosted feature layer data" (https://doc.arcgis.com/en/arcgis-online/manage-data/edit-features.htm). Once you are satisfied with the data, you can use the Append tool in ArcGIS to add the data to your main feature layer's attribute table.

This will allow you to review and edit the data before integrating it into your feature layer's attribute table.

I hope these steps meet what you're looking for.

Thanks,

Omar

View solution in original post

MobiusSnake
MVP

Here's an approach I've taken:

• Create a small integer field named "Approved" or something similar, where 0 ("Unknown") is the default, 1 is "Yes", and 2 is "Rejected".
  • Create a write-only view that the survey posts to.  The Approved field should be hidden from this view so that new records always have an Approved value of 0.
  • Create a view with a filter Approved=1, and use this view for all your maps, apps, etc.
  • Have your reviewers access the base feature service to review the records, and if they like what they see they can set the Approved value to 1.  This will make it appear in the view that everyone else sees.

Review can be done a few ways, either through a Survey123 inbox, or through a Dashboard + embedded web form, or even just a plain old web map in Field Maps or the map viewer.  You may want reviewers to use a web map filter (or even a view) that restricts records to Approved=0 so they only see the records pending review, and not the previously-approved or previously-rejected records.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
Omar_A
by Esri Contributor
Esri Contributor

Hi, 

One approach to this is to set up a separate survey data table in your ArcGIS Online account to store the data submitted through your Survey123 survey before it is added to your feature layer. So, when users submit data through your Survey123 survey, it will be stored in the separate feature layer you created. Then, you can review and edit the data in this feature layer using the editing tools to make necessary changes. More on this can be found in this link "Edit hosted feature layer data" (https://doc.arcgis.com/en/arcgis-online/manage-data/edit-features.htm). Once you are satisfied with the data, you can use the Append tool in ArcGIS to add the data to your main feature layer's attribute table.

This will allow you to review and edit the data before integrating it into your feature layer's attribute table.

I hope these steps meet what you're looking for.

Thanks,

Omar

MobiusSnake
MVP

Here's an approach I've taken:

• Create a small integer field named "Approved" or something similar, where 0 ("Unknown") is the default, 1 is "Yes", and 2 is "Rejected".
  • Create a write-only view that the survey posts to.  The Approved field should be hidden from this view so that new records always have an Approved value of 0.
  • Create a view with a filter Approved=1, and use this view for all your maps, apps, etc.
  • Have your reviewers access the base feature service to review the records, and if they like what they see they can set the Approved value to 1.  This will make it appear in the view that everyone else sees.

Review can be done a few ways, either through a Survey123 inbox, or through a Dashboard + embedded web form, or even just a plain old web map in Field Maps or the map viewer.  You may want reviewers to use a web map filter (or even a view) that restricts records to Approved=0 so they only see the records pending review, and not the previously-approved or previously-rejected records.