Signatures disappear while using the inbox feature

Jump to solution
08-29-2017 05:28 PM
JoeChaconas
New Contributor II

I have created a Survey for our organization that an employee and three other departments need to sign off on(using "image" type for the signature). We are using the inbox feature in order to have each department access their part of the survey independently. In this case, each department section is separated using the "begin group" and "end group" types, which are initially collapsed. Each time the Survey is re-opened from inbox, however, the signatures are ignored in the latter sections of the survey. 

Only the first signature(image) is saved to the data when initially submitting the survey. Once I leave the survey, open and submit from the Inbox, all other signatures are ignored. 

I also noticed that the signatures are cleared from the form(in app) each time it is opened from Inbox. This does not allow for setting the signature fields as "required."

Is there a way to ensure that all of the signature images are saved each time the survey is submitted from the Inbox? 

Thanks in advance.

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi @ryanEvanczyk,

The viewing and editing of existing attachments (photos, signatures, files) is not supported in the Survey123 field app via the Inbox. This is a feature we are aiming to support in a future release, currently planned for the end of 2021.

Regards,

Phil.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi @ryanEvanczyk,

If you are using the latest release of Connect, version 3.12, you will see the options to configure the Sent folder and other folders in Connect in the Options tab for the survey you are authoring. See my screenshot previously posted above.

Grid theme is currently only supported in the field app, not the web app. There is no Inbox or Sent box in the web app, editing of surveys via the web app can be done from the Data page in the Survey123 website, or via web URL parameters to launch the survey in edit mode, or a dashboard configured with edit mode. Refer to below documentation and blog posts:

https://doc.arcgis.com/en/survey123/browser/get-answers/editexistingdata.htm#ESRI_SECTION1_C4ECC19E6...

https://community.esri.com/t5/arcgis-survey123-blog/survey123-tricks-of-the-trade-web-form-url-param...

If you would like different logins (different users) to have different options available (Inbox/Sent box/edit mode etc) enabled, you can configure two different surveys (or more) and only share with those users needed, and apply different options to each survey. You can create all the different surveys to point to the same feature service so they are using the same data. 

Regards,

Phil.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
13 Replies
IsmaelChivite
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi. I am not sure if I understand fully the workflow, but I wanted to point out that any survey in the Inbox will not show signatures, or any image as of version 2.3

As of 2.3 geodatabase attachments are not supported in the Inbox although we are currently working to get this into the future.  Once attachments are supported, you will see signatures and images in the Inbox.

Please note that even tough you do not see any signatures in the Inbox, signatures are submitted to the feature service, so you should be able to see them from clients such as Web AppBuilder and others.

JoeChaconas
New Contributor II

Thank you for your reply. Sorry for not being very clear with my initial post.

The workflow: Essentially, the survey has to be passed to three other departments for signatures after the employee signs, which has to be opened in inbox to complete their respective sections. 

I do see a signature attachment in the feature service, but only the initial signature from the first time the survey is submitted by the employee. Once the survey is re-opened and re-submitted from Inbox by the other departments, and completed, those signatures are not added to the feature service. If I was to complete the survey all at one time, all signatures would be added to the feature service, but this is not possible with our workflow. 

0 Kudos
ryanEvanczyk
Occasional Contributor

Hi Ismael,

Any update to this?

I have field app v.3.11.164 and connect 3.11.123 and want to enable the inbox, but I need signatures to be required fields.

Cheers,

RyanE

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi @ryanEvanczyk,

The viewing and editing of existing attachments (photos, signatures, files) is not supported in the Survey123 field app via the Inbox. This is a feature we are aiming to support in a future release, currently planned for the end of 2021.

Regards,

Phil.

0 Kudos
ryanEvanczyk
Occasional Contributor

@Anonymous User Thanks for the quick response on this, I was wondering if you could make a suggestion for my workflow.

I found a problem with my work flow due to fixing incorrectly placed geopoints through the data tab in the Survey123 website. The survey is an "incident form" where we collect patient information including an incident location. Some of our employees are part-time and put the geopoint in the wrong place. Our staff uses a shared creator/user login to complete all of the surveys in our first aid room. When they complete the survey in the first aid room, they set the geopoint. This incident form includes a section where the patient dob is input and then an age is calculated which cues a guardian information section if the patient is <18yr old.

Our work flow has a small group of employees with a separate creator/user that allows them to edit records. They login to the survey123 website and then review the days surveys from the data tab. They complete a few questions at the end of the survey via the table in the data tab. However, to fix the location we use the "form view" and then we "edit." When we edit the location in the "form view", it then changes the age to 0 which cues the guardian info section (if relevant, this is a required field). When we update things in the table view this doesn't happen. 

We cannot use the Inbox for this, because we collect two signatures in the form and they are required fields. We left the sent box disabled as well becasue we didn't want the entire staff to have editing access to any sent forms.

Are there any other work flow options or work arounds? Is there a way to change my age calculation to prevent it being set to zero and we can keep our work flow? Is there a way to enable the sent folder, but prevent all users from having editing access?

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi @ryanEvanczyk,

With the latest Survey123 Connect (version 3.12) it is possible to enable the Sent folder, however disable sent surveys from being edited. This would allow sent surveys to be viewed, or copied to a new survey, and you can even adjust those options also. Refer to below options tab in Connect:

Philip-Wilson_0-1623023314396.png

Another option is that surveys can be edited in the web app even if they include attachments (images and signatures). This would require to use the the survey in the web app in a browser, and to be online, however does provide another option for editing a survey.

Regards,

Phil.

0 Kudos
ryanEvanczyk
Occasional Contributor

@Anonymous User thanks for the response,

When you mention that I can adjust the sent folder options beyond 'edit/resend' and/or 'copy to a new survey', how do I do that? 

We're using the desktop field app now because of the theme grid style and we sometimes need to collect data when we're offline (our network goes down a few times a year). Does the web app in a browser support theme grid now? What does editing online look like? is that through the inbox/sent box?

The ideal situation would be for different logins to have different editing access to that survey. Like if 'username1' could only create and send new surveys (maybe view sent surveys), but 'username2' could review all of the sent surveys and edit/resend.

Cheers,

RyanE

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi @ryanEvanczyk,

If you are using the latest release of Connect, version 3.12, you will see the options to configure the Sent folder and other folders in Connect in the Options tab for the survey you are authoring. See my screenshot previously posted above.

Grid theme is currently only supported in the field app, not the web app. There is no Inbox or Sent box in the web app, editing of surveys via the web app can be done from the Data page in the Survey123 website, or via web URL parameters to launch the survey in edit mode, or a dashboard configured with edit mode. Refer to below documentation and blog posts:

https://doc.arcgis.com/en/survey123/browser/get-answers/editexistingdata.htm#ESRI_SECTION1_C4ECC19E6...

https://community.esri.com/t5/arcgis-survey123-blog/survey123-tricks-of-the-trade-web-form-url-param...

If you would like different logins (different users) to have different options available (Inbox/Sent box/edit mode etc) enabled, you can configure two different surveys (or more) and only share with those users needed, and apply different options to each survey. You can create all the different surveys to point to the same feature service so they are using the same data. 

Regards,

Phil.

0 Kudos
ryanEvanczyk
Occasional Contributor

Hi @Anonymous User ,

Can you recommend an article for setting up the dashboard with edit mode? Would I be able to edit the survey data in a "detail" feature? the geopoint as well? Or would you have to specifically designate which fields are available to be edited and then create a "list" feature?

With the different surveys option, since they would both be linked to the same feature service, would my dashboard need to be updated? I could conceivably just enable the sent box on the one survey and not the other which would eliminate my issue with editing the location from the data page?

Chur,

RyanE

0 Kudos