Select one question choice info

01-28-2022 06:54 AM
LouiseHarris1
New Contributor III

I have a survey and there is a select one question where the user has to choose a grade from a list of options, these being 0, 1, 2, 3, 4. Not all the users know what these grades mean so they want the ability to read an explanation of the choices before selecting their option. Is there a way to enable them to open an information panel if they need to or to use the hint option but give it a minimal appearance so only those who need to read the info need maximise it?

Thanks

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Jim-Moore
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi @LouiseHarris1 

A couple of ideas that might be of use:

If you're authoring your survey in Survey123 Connect, one option would be to use a guidance hint. Guidance hints appear under the question label, either as a 'lightbulb' icon in the Survey123 field app, or an expandable panel in the web app. See the documentation on hints for more details.

Alternatively, you could use a note question inside a group that uses the compact appearance (collapsed by default) - users could expand the group if they need to read the notes.

Hope this helps. Best, Jim

LouiseHarris1
New Contributor III

Hi

Thanks for these suggestions they are really helpful. I think the guidance hints option might be best for me but there is no guidance_hint column, is this something I need to create myself or do I need to update to a more recent version of Survey123 Connect to see the column?

0 Kudos
Jim-Moore
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi @LouiseHarris1 if you're using an older version of the XLSForm template, you can simply add a guidance_hint column to the survey sheet. Otherwise, you can download the latest versions of the Advanced and Standard templates from Connect (New survey dialog) and migrate your survey to the new template. You'll find some hints and best practices in this blog post - see the Migrate an existing survey to a new template section. Note guidance hints are supported in Survey123 version 3.12 and later.

DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor

I would set it up where in the list the name column is the numbers and the label column is number - description.