Reverse Geocode in Survey123 Web Form

11-03-2021 04:54 PM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

I published a survey123 web form that includes several questions that use reverse geocoding (state, county, zip, address).  In the web form, I select a point in the map and I see that those questions get automatically populated using the map location.  However, once I submit the form I see my own home address in the feature service.  I think the form is using my auto fill information, because it shows my home's apartment unit... If it were location tracking, it won't show the unit number. 

What's so strange is that how can form display one address and actually updates the form with the totally different attribute?

Can someone please share how I can prevent this from happening?
2021-11-03_19-48-10.png

4 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Further testing, I figured out why it happens.  In the form, there's a "Phone Number" question.  Once I use the browser's autofill function to fill out the phone number, it updates the address fields with the autofill information.  So the question still remains - how can I prevent this from happening? 

ThomasHamill
Occasional Contributor II

Hi @Anonymous User, simply don't use the browser's autofill function.  I've found there isn't really a way to use autofill just on one or two fields—it seems like it is either all-or-nothing once your browser has captured your default entries.

If you still want some of your own information to populate in your form, you could use the "default" column in the "survey" sheet of the XLS.  I do that for dates and times using today() and now() which populates the current date and time when a user begins entry in a new survey.

Kindest Regards,

t
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks for the suggestion.  Is there a way to disable browser's autocomplete on Survey123 completely?  Beside adding a warning for the end users.

0 Kudos
ThomasHamill
Occasional Contributor II

I think it would depend on what browser is used and maybe even device (tablet or phone) settings.  If using on a desktop, I just checked and there's an on/off toggle under the settings for both Google Chrome and Mozilla Firefox.  When I search on my phone's (iOS) settings, there's also an auto-fill menu for Safari.

Kindest Regards,

t
0 Kudos