Resurveying - Populating a survey with existing records as the default value

04-01-2021 03:23 PM
ClintBoaz1
New Contributor III

I have been developing a survey and recently found out in order for the survey to be useful it needs to be able to show the existing records for each survey site.  Existing records are stored in multiple SQL tables.  I am new to Survey123 and am wondering if it possible to attach these existing records and use them to populate fields as default values so the field worker wont be starting from scratch each time (most surveys involve validating current data with little to no changes being made).  If the field user types in a site id as a unique identifier could this prompt the application to locate the matching record and populate the 60 + fields in the survey with the existing data?   Additionally, the information needs to be available for offline use.  Could this be accomplished through linking/downloading the records to the survey as a CSV file or through joining the records to the spatial feature in AGOL and attaching those to the survey?  Is there a better workflow or even application to accomplish this?  Any help appreciated.

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
ClintBoaz1
New Contributor III

Hey Rickey,

Thanks for the reply.  I think I am trying to create a new record using old data.  I want to pull existing records into the survey that were not collected with survey 123 (or any field application) to display in the survey when the unique linking identifier for a site is specified.  Then the field worker will edit what needs to be edited.  I then need to push that data back out to the SQL tables storing the existing records.  I have started trying to set up the pulldata function, but will this work offline?  Is there a way to download records to the survey for offline use?

0 Kudos
MicZatorsky_AEC
Occasional Contributor III

pulldata will work offline

0 Kudos
RickeyFight
MVP Regular Contributor

@ClintBoaz1 

I would advise using survey123 connect. 

@IsmaelChivite 

0 Kudos