Required message not working in all Repeats

02-24-2019 07:24 PM
GeoffLewis
New Contributor II

We are having a new issue with Required questions within a Repeat - users can now move on to the next Repeat without being reminded to enter data into required text field.

This means if a user fills in the last Repeat correctly they can save and send a form with missing Required data in previous Repeats (which is causing us problems).

We think in the past if a user tried to use the Plus button to move to the next Repeat and there was a blank Required question then the Required_Message would display - this doesn't seem to be happening now?

The Required_Message is working correctly if there is a blank Required answer in the final Repeat.

We are using the latest version 3.2.265 on iPhones and Windows.

Any chance of a fix?

0 Kudos
9 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Geoff,

Thanks for reporting this, are you able to share you xlsx form so we can take a closer look. Some changes were made in 3.2 with regards to required validation handling to resolve some other required validation bugs with repeats. Not all controls support the new required validation process yet and this may be the cause of the issue, but need to take a closer look to see if this is related or a different bug.

See more comments here regarding a similar issue: https://community.esri.com/thread/229210-selectone-questions-and-conditionally-required#comment-8333... 

Regards,

Phil.

0 Kudos
GeoffLewis
New Contributor II

This is our training/test version of the production form we're having trouble with.

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Geoff,

Thanks for sharing your survey xlsx form. I found the problem as to why the required validation is not working on the BS_No text question. The relevant statement that has been applied to this question (based on previous select one) is causing the required to be ignored unless it is the visible repeat record when selecting submit. Ideally you should not be able to navigate to next repeat or create new repeat record if that question is empty and you should not be able to submit the survey either.

This is a bug which has now been raised in our backlog regarding the association of a required question in a repeat to a relevant expression, given we are just in the process on releasing version 3.3 this week, it has been flagged for 3.4 at this stage, but until a fix is identified this could change.

In the meantime you need to remove the relevant statement on the required question, or try using a constraint and a constraint message for example to ensure the string length of that question is not 0. That should stop the user navigating to the next repeat also.

Phil.

0 Kudos
GeoffLewis
New Contributor II

Hi Phil

Thanks for that.  Unfortunately the Constraints don't appear to work in the Repeats either.  We'll wait for the fix.

Cheers

Geoff

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Geoff,

We have just updated new 3.4 beta builds to EAC which include fixes for required questions when using relevant, constraints, and validation in repeats, as well as supporting expressions for required in all question types. There are several other important fixes in these builds too. Please test them out and let us know if you still have any remaining issues.

You can find the latest 3.4 beta builds here: Survey123 Early Adopter Community

Phil.

DaronNichols
New Contributor III

Good morning Philip. I understand that this issue was considered "solved" nearly a year ago, however I am experiencing this issue on surveys published in version 3.7. That is, required questions, inside of a repeat, with logic in their "relevant" column are allowing NULL entries to be submitted if the question is ignored. The strange thing is, this only happens when the "relevant" logic references an integer field, at least in my survey.

To clarify :

If the Relevant logic references a Select_One question, it will hide or display properly, and WILL NOT allow the question to contain a null value, working as expected.

However if the logic looks like this :   ${Total_Res}>10000   It will display the question properly, but WILL allow the question to contain a null value, if skipped. If a value is entered and then erased it will trigger the required status. I am able to recreate this error when references integer fields other than Total_Res.

The context for this is I am trying to add a confirmation question that only appears when the Total number of Residential units entered exceeds a normal amount.

0 Kudos
JamesTedrick
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Daron,

Could you share the form?  I'm not seeing this behavior in a sample form (attached).  If you want, you can e-mail me directly at jtedrick AT Esri.com.

0 Kudos
PaulSweeney3
Occasional Contributor III

Hi @JamesTedrick 

I have a form with repeats populated based on the main form so basically if someone answers  "no" to a Question its flagged as a deviation and it must be addressed via the repeat.  Each repeat has several required fields and some have relavancies.  Howver since the most recent  update The user is only prompted to complete the first repeat and the other repeats are being skipped. As a work around I ve used a constraint on a field  outside the repeat  to ensure all the repeats are answered but it's not very clear to the user what they need to do.Could this possibly be a bug ? 

Happy to share a form

Regards 

Paul

0 Kudos
K_Rocks
New Contributor III

Is there a way that this scenario - allowing the user to move on to a new repeat without filling in a required question - can be allowed but with the restriction enforced when the user tries to submit the form? Therefore the idea would be to prevent them from doing this and remind that there are required questions in some repeats to be completed before submission is allowed.

Thanks.

0 Kudos