Required fields in Survey form still allow null values in web app. Survey 123 web app.

09-14-2020 07:51 AM
ZahrahMusa
New Contributor

I created a survey with a number of required fields using Survey 123 web app. After publishing to Arcgis online, the fields are not set as mandatory and the form can be submitted without those fields being filled. This is very important for the project. How can I solve this?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
IsmaelChivite
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi. Please share your XLSForm file to help with diagnosis. If you cannot share your XLSForm via GeoNet, open an Esri Technical Support incident so an analyst can help out.

0 Kudos
ZahrahMusa
New Contributor

Hi,

thanks for reacting so fast. Attached is the survey.

0 Kudos
Cyprus_Forest_Department
Occasional Contributor

Hi, I tried the functionality of the form in Survey123 Connect app and the 'required' restrictions work as they should. The error comes in play only after you publish the survey to ArcGIS Online?

0 Kudos
ZahrahMusa
New Contributor

Yes, only after publishing in Arcgis online.

This a screenshot of the layer item details after publishing (sorry its in dutch, but..). It shows that Null values are allowed (Ja means yes) for a field that is marked as required in the survey form. (Nulwaarden toegestaan means null values allowed)

0 Kudos
Ruth_JiatengXu
Esri Contributor

Hi Zahrah,

Thanks for the information. I am wondering if the web app working properly to prevent blank required submission? 

For the feature layer on ArcGIS online, the required question has the setting nullable:"true" by-design, this is because sometimes the required question is used as a relevant question, and when it is not relevant, the required question should be hidden and allowed to submit as null.

Could you please let us know your use case for having the feature layer field as nullable:"false", so we can log your requirement as a feature requirement. I also encourage you to contact Esri Support and raise an Enhancement issue.

Thanks,

Ruth

0 Kudos
ZahrahMusa
New Contributor

Hi Ruth,

from the survey 123 application side, the XLS form confirms that the required fields were correctly set in the survey 123 web app. The problems came after publishing the survey to Arcgis online. The accompanying layer thats automatically created during publishing does not honour the 'required'  setting and sets the layer as nullable just as you've stated. For this case, deleted the form and all its layers and just created a different editable layer for the project. Not what I wanted, but I had a deadline to meet.

Thanks,

Zahrah.

0 Kudos