Select to view content in your preferred language

Replacing Survey123 Data

02-01-2024 01:03 PM
SeanWalsh
Emerging Contributor

I need to make some changes to a survey which will result in a schema change/loss of data.  I would like to download all my data and re-upload. I have several repeats and need to preserve global ids for parenting.  Preserving globals ids using the append tool in arcgis pro doesn't do anything.  Does anyone have ideas? 

0 Kudos
4 Replies
DavidSolari
Frequent Contributor

Will the changes actually remove records or just some fields? If the row count remains the same across the board, you can download the old data, make the changes, join the old data to the new data on the common key field and then field calculate the old data over to the new format. Whipping up a dummy survey to test the workflow is a good idea, you can never tell what Survey123 might do on schema changes!

0 Kudos
SeanWalsh
Emerging Contributor

Based on previous scenarios it will erase all of the data.  I assume it will erase all of the data again but of course there is no way to test that.  

0 Kudos
RobertAnderson3
MVP Regular Contributor

I have previously done this without issue, download the data, I just copy pasted the data back into the respective tables in ArcGIS Pro and as far as I remember it maintained the GlobalIDs to connect the repeats.

That said, definitely test that first. And if the changes are going to delete the data Survey123 will warn you before you publish the changes to your survey and it should give you a bit of a reason why.

What changes are you looking to make that impact the schema?

0 Kudos
SeanWalsh
Emerging Contributor

I tried copy and pasting but that generated new GlobalIDs.  I am going to be removing some fields that I previously had to hide in order to prevent the survey from deleting the data.  I would like to just publish as a new survey but that will generate a different URL and that would be a pain to set up for all the people that are using it.  

0 Kudos