Repeat when relevant only shows plus sign

04-08-2020 07:15 AM
JamieKelly1
Occasional Contributor

By default a repeat will display one blank record to be completed by the user with the ability to add and delete records:

I would like to make the repeat relevant to a type (either conditional or final), if it is conditional, the repeat is relevant, if it is final, the repeat is not relevant.

When I add the relevancy, the repeat doesn't display a blank record, just a plus sign. 

This behavior is not consistent with the default behavior.  If the repeat is relevant, then one would expect the user to be entering some information so I would like to show the first blank record, but I can't figure out how to do it.  Is there any way to get the behavior I want?

Thanks

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
12 Replies
JamieKelly1
Occasional Contributor

Just wanted to add to this.  If you notice, the questions in the repeat are required.  I wanted validation so that if a conditional type is chosen then the user is required to enter at least one condition.  The validation does not happen if the initial record in the repeat does not exist (ie. when just the plus sign is displaying).

0 Kudos
JamesTedrick
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Jaime,

When a question or repeat is not relevant, there is no value associated with it.  When it is shown, it displays a 'blank' value of 0 repeats.

0 Kudos
JamieKelly1
Occasional Contributor

Yes, that is what it is doing - showing 0 (zero) repeats.  Why does it do that when it becomes relevant?  The default behavior without relevancy is to show 1 repeat (still 'blank' value).  I tried setting a default value, that didn't do anything.  If I set 'repeat_count' to 1 then I will see a repeat, but they cannot be added then, the number of repeats is then fixed to only 1 repeat.  How about a setting for minimum repeat count?

Is there any settings to achieve my desired behavior?

0 Kudos
BrunoGomes_de_Souza
Esri Contributor

James, in my case I have a sort of repeats. All of them with rules of relevant issues. If the answer "A" is YES open repeat. But a little problems occurs: When the answer is NO, my repeat not apears (and it's ok, it's what relevant do) but is generated a blank value inside repeat. I dont want a blank line in my repeat. What I want is just the answers for my previous question "YES". If I have a point question pulling data from a CSV it generate a "blank" point with the same behavior.

How can I solve it?

0 Kudos
LaurenceTait
Occasional Contributor II

I'm having the same issue. When a repeat has a "relevant" requirement that is fulfilled, it appears as  plus sign, rather than appearing as the question is formatted. Users are forced to click on the plus sign in order to see the questions within the repeat. This is highly problematic, since most users simply skip over the repeat without even realising it is there. 

I have been forced to change the label for the repeat section to "PRESS THE BIG + SIGN BELOW BEFORE ANSWERING ANY OTHER QUESTIONS".

The resulting appearance is very unprofessional.

Any solutions for this?

0 Kudos
JamieKelly1
Occasional Contributor

Hi Laurence,

There is a beta feature now at version 3.10 for visible questions as opposed to relevant questions.  I have been playing around with it and it seems to work for my problem.  Maybe it will work for you as well.

In the survey sheet of the xlsx add a new column with body::esri:visible and then cut and paste the formula from the relevant column to the body::esri:visible column.

see a reference here about it https://community.esri.com/thread/257916-hidden-appearance-for-geopoint

quote from the reference: "Both of these new features currently work as expected in Connect and the field app with 3.10, however are not supported in the 3.10 web app. Once they are supported in the web app (currently scheduled for 3.11) then both features will be fully supported."

In my situation, I also had the questions in the repeat as required so they would still be flagged as needing to be completed when not visible so had to apply relevant to each question within the repeat.

Hope that helps.

DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor

As you mention the issue with the new visible setting is required still fires.  Constraints still fire also.  Since the question cannot be seen it goes to the spot on the form where it would, be then just sits there.

My vote to the 123 team was to ignore relevant and constraints when a field is not visible just like a relevant does.  We already have the hidden and calculate field types so I think this makes the most sense.

Please add your pick if you agree, or not.

Thanks

DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor

It is a little clunky but since repeat count has lots of issues I have been adding a count() with a constraint to make sure a have exactly 10 records for example.  You could use this constraint with count(repeatfield) > 0.

You may need to display the count to get it to fire and give the user something to see.  Sometimes I can get a constraint to fire on a hidden or calculate field and sometimes not.  

That said I have been testing the new hidden type and it does work well.  Esp for cases when the user accidentally taps a Not Collected question after they have entered a lot of data and it erases everything they were working on.

Hope that helps.

0 Kudos
DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor

I thought you could control the + or load the first repeat using the minimal appearance in the past.  Does not seem to work anymore however.  I really thought it did before.

0 Kudos