Read Only Location Question Requiring Location

Jump to solution
03-08-2022 05:17 AM
DarraghOSullivan
Occasional Contributor

Hi,

I have a workflow that passes a location (and other data) to a Survey123 Web Form from a dashboard using url parameters. The question populated is read only.

Recently, the browser has been popping up with requests for location when submitting the form. If the user chooses yes, then the submitter's location replaces the location passed. If they choose no, then the location disappears and they cannot submit, as it is a required question. 

Not sure if this is only since the last update? Any help welcome.

Thanks,

Darragh

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Ruth_JiatengXu
Esri Contributor

Hi @DarraghOSullivan 

We introduced a new feature in 3.14 which allows you to decide how to set the default value to the map question, and the readonly & required map question without default value will use the device location as the value by default.

If you add null or a coordinate to the default column of your map question, the value in the URL should be loaded correctly. Ref: https://doc.arcgis.com/en/survey123/desktop/create-surveys/geopoints.htm#ESRI_SECTION1_6B32C981BC5E4...

Thanks,

Ruth

View solution in original post

4 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi @DarraghOSullivan,

How did you create the survey, via Connect or Web designer? Can you provide a copy of the XLSForm (xlsx file and media folder files)?

Can you also provide an example URL you are using to pass the parameters to the web app?

Do you have any screenshots to better explain the issue?

There were some changes to the location permission prompts for browsers which the web app was updated for, this this may be related to these changes, if you are only seeing them with the 3.14 release of the web app?

Regards,

Phil.

0 Kudos
DarraghOSullivan
Occasional Contributor

Hi @Anonymous User 

Survey was created on Connect and copy attached (same one as discussed recently re photos). Yes it seems to only be since 3.14 release of web app.

This is an example url: 

https://survey123.arcgis.com/share/dea3350f810e453fb4077f778XXXXXXX?center=52.79990420155226,-6.512935538363142&field:Trail_Management_ID=319&field:Trail_ID=40&field:Trail_Issue_ID=21-40-020&field:Trail_Issue_Severity=Significant&field:Trail_Issue_Type=Waymarking%20Issue&field:Trail_Management=County%20Wicklow%20Partnership&field:Trail_Name=Wicklow%20Way 

where I use Arcade to provide the x,y from the feature and most of the fields in the survey are pre-populated.

This time I got the below, but in the past there has also been a pop-up asking to allow for location. Choosing no gives this and I guess it remembered from last time. 

DarraghOSullivan_1-1646802838073.png

Sometimes it works ok. This is on a different browser, but seems to depend on choices I previously made in the browser.

DarraghOSullivan_2-1646804142595.png

Hope that helps - let me know if you need more. Thanks, Darragh

0 Kudos
Ruth_JiatengXu
Esri Contributor

Hi @DarraghOSullivan 

We introduced a new feature in 3.14 which allows you to decide how to set the default value to the map question, and the readonly & required map question without default value will use the device location as the value by default.

If you add null or a coordinate to the default column of your map question, the value in the URL should be loaded correctly. Ref: https://doc.arcgis.com/en/survey123/desktop/create-surveys/geopoints.htm#ESRI_SECTION1_6B32C981BC5E4...

Thanks,

Ruth

DarraghOSullivan
Occasional Contributor

Hi @Ruth_JiatengXu 

Thank you for this. Somehow I missed that that would impact our case and adding 'null' seems to have solved it.