Pre-populating Default Answers Not Working in Survey123 web form

Jump to solution
02-19-2021 07:56 AM
M_M
by
New Contributor III

I’m having trouble with pre-populating default answers in Survey123. I am creating a survey using Connect v3.11 with an existing feature service with domains in ArcGIS Online. The users will be in the office, so they will be accessing S123 web using a URL from a web app builder app.  Everything works correctly in the Connect display and when I open a new blank survey. However, when I use it as intended and open the S123 web form from an existing feature on my web app, none of the default answers are pre-populated and some of the questions show a Recalculate icon underneath them. This is the URL I’m using in the map popup to open S123 (I cant share it due to customer confidentiality): https://survey123.arcgis.com/share/d791e6278e4649e3a1829e7f0fb85e2b?mode=edit&globalId={globalid}

For context, users are entering utility meter attributes to an existing customer meter point. I’m unable to share everything due to confidentiality, but here are some examples as well as my worksheet:

These two questions should have default answers prepopulated (rows 21-22 in excel spreadsheet). I’m not sure if this makes a difference, but the Calculation row is being used later in row 24 to reference the ‘Is This a Meterless Riser’ question.

MelissaW_0-1613748703867.png

MelissaW_1-1613748735209.png

‘Riser Type’ (row 39) is a Select One that has a pulldata expression in the Calculation column. It will only populate if the Recalculate icon is clicked. And ‘Is There a Second Riser?’(row 40) should default to ‘No’.

MelissaW_2-1613748751642.png

MelissaW_6-1613749180201.png

This question of ‘Audit Yes/No’ (row 175) is not referenced anywhere else and the default of ‘No’ does not populate

MelissaW_4-1613748751646.png

MelissaW_5-1613748839143.png

One last example 🙂 The 'Date Survey Completed' (row 17) is set with a Calculation of 'now() ' but it also stays blank until 'Recalculate' is clicked. This same question set up worked fine in the S123 field app, but it looks like this in the web survey.

MelissaW_7-1613749350766.png

Thank you for any and all assistance, I really appreciate it!

Melissa 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
IsmaelChivite
Esri Notable Contributor

This is expected behavior. When you are editing a record, Survey123 will not trigger calculations that overwrite user-entered data.

https://community.esri.com/t5/arcgis-survey123-questions/what-is-up-with-the-update-button-calculate...

View solution in original post

4 Replies
DavidColey
Frequent Contributor

This may or may not help, but because of the way they are accessing via url, you may do better setting up the types as calculate on your columns instead of defaults and binding to esriType column. Otherwise I'm not sure.

0 Kudos
IsmaelChivite
Esri Notable Contributor

This is expected behavior. When you are editing a record, Survey123 will not trigger calculations that overwrite user-entered data.

https://community.esri.com/t5/arcgis-survey123-questions/what-is-up-with-the-update-button-calculate...

DavidColey
Frequent Contributor

Ok thanks for that, hopefully that helps out @M_M here....

M_M
by
New Contributor III

Thank you! I realize now that I was viewing my dataset wrong.  Because the Survey will be used in instances where the fields are blank with no existing data, I made the mistake of expecting it to behave as a 'new survey' would by filling in the default values and calculations.  It makes sense that the defaults and calculations are bypassed to avoid data loss on existing features (even when those fields are blank). 🙂

0 Kudos