Possible to include Offline Basemaps that have other Feature Layers?

Jump to solution
04-13-2021 11:09 AM
Henry
by
Occasional Contributor II

Hi all,

As my organization ramps up our data collection for the spring and summer - I have an inquiry on using offline basemaps in Survey123.

I have been able to successfully link Map areas crated through Portal for ArcGIS for use offline in our Survey123 forms - however, they only include the basemap aerial imagery raster and none of our other vector hosted feature layers (such as river flowlines or our other data collection features). These do not show when collecting data through Survey123 - but would be really valuable for providing context during data collection.

Would the solution be to use a different package type? The current offline map areas created through Portal show as Tile Packages. A couple of the other data collection layers would need to be able to update periodically, but don't necessarily need to be interactive - they're just critical for additional context on top of aerial imagery, and to be able to see prior years of data (these feature layers are already included in the linked web map.)

Thanks you!

Henry
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi @Henry,

If you use the offline map areas option to create your offline map package from a web map, you are correct, only the basemap layer will be displayed in Survey123 when downloaded.

However Survey123 also supports vtpk and mmpk packages, so if you use a mmpk you will be able to show operation layers on top of your basemap. You will need to keep manually updating the mmpk and downloading to the device, but this will be the best way to display the data in the field when offline.

Regards,

Phil.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi @Henry,

If you use the offline map areas option to create your offline map package from a web map, you are correct, only the basemap layer will be displayed in Survey123 when downloaded.

However Survey123 also supports vtpk and mmpk packages, so if you use a mmpk you will be able to show operation layers on top of your basemap. You will need to keep manually updating the mmpk and downloading to the device, but this will be the best way to display the data in the field when offline.

Regards,

Phil.

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Philip,

I'm new to using Survey 123 and am also preparing to use it for data collection in my organization by public volunteers. What would one need to do to access a mmpk in Survey 123? I'm wondering how complicated this would be for the general public.

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi @Anonymous User,

There are a few different ways to access a mmpk from within a survey in the field app. Please refer to https://doc.arcgis.com/en/survey123/desktop/create-surveys/preparebasemaps.htm.

For example, the user can download the mmpk as Linked Content via the Offline Maps menu located on the Survey Info page. Or the mmpk can also be included with the survey when downloaded as it can be added when published in the media folder, however this increases the size of the survey download. And otherwise you can sideload the mmpk onto the device.

Regards,

Phil.

0 Kudos