Photos being flipped horizontally

02-18-2021 09:24 AM
ClaireMWood
New Contributor II

Hi,

I've noticed some strange behaviour regarding taking photos in Survey123.  In version 3.11.164, the photo is being flipped horizontally once the photo is taken in image questions.

On a Windows 10 laptop, the camera previews the view correctly, and then flips it to a mirror image once taken, meaning the mirror image is stored.  On a Windows 10 Panasonic Toughpad, it is the opposite way round - the preview is a mirror image, but the stored photo is correct.

Is this a bug?

Thanks,

Claire 

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
IsmaelChivite
Esri Notable Contributor

This is not expected behavior, but it could happen in some devices. Can you reproduce this problem across different devices (different brands/models) or is this only happening in a particular device? If so, what is the manufacturer and model? If the device has multiple cameras, what camera are you using? Also, if the device has the capability to lock the aspect ratio (so the screen does not flip when you change from horizontal to vertical), are you using the lock-screen option?

0 Kudos
ClaireMWood
New Contributor II

Hi Ismael,

I can reproduce it on two Windows 10 devices.  One is a Dell laptop (not sure of the model) with one camera only.

The other device is a Panasonic Toughpad FZ-G1 (mk5) using the rear camera.  The lock screen rotation doesn't affect the behaviour either way, the same behaviour occurs with the flipped photo.  Trying to change to the forward facing camera results in a black preview screen, and trying to take a photo with that results in a 'Camera not ready for capture' error.

Interestingly, I also just tried taking a photo with a Motorola moto g5 running Android 8.1.0.  On this, the photo preview is the right way round, but taking a photo stores a completely black image.

Many thanks,
Claire 

0 Kudos
IsmaelChivite
Esri Notable Contributor

Thanks Claire. This definitively looks like device dependent. I suggest you open an Esri Tech Support ticket to officially log the problem. I will add an internal note of the issue you describe, but having the official ticket open is important so this can be looked at in detail. Thanks.

0 Kudos