Persistent rumor that Survey123 is being retired.

Jump to solution
03-18-2022 12:05 PM
LorettaWinton1
New Contributor III

Hello,

There seems to be a persistent rumor that Survey123 is being retired and FieldMaps will replace it, in addition to Collector etc. This rumor is especially prevalent within the US Forest Service and they are telling us to stop using Survey123!! The most recent reply to this rumor I have found is this one https://community.esri.com/t5/arcgis-survey123-questions/survey123-migrating-to-field-maps-and-unsup....

@JamesTedrick@IsmaelChivite Could you please address this yet again? I think we are in dire need something more recent. 

Thanks!

Lori

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
IsmaelChivite
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi Loretta. Esri has no plans to retire Survey123. Many organizations use Survey123 and we have no other plans but to serve them the best we can, growing Survey123.   Esri does not have plans to replace Survey123 with Field Maps either. 

I have no idea where that rumor is coming from, but it is not true. 

View solution in original post

9 Replies
Katie_Clark
MVP Regular Contributor

I know I'm no authority on this, but as far as I know, Survey123 is still planned on being kept separate. My guess is just that rumors stick around a lot longer than they should? 

Obviously I'm in the same boat as you, where I'd love to know if this isn't the case!

Best,
Katie

“The goal is not simply to ‘work hard, play hard.’ The goal is to make our work and our play indistinguishable.”
- Simon Sinek
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor
0 Kudos
DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor

I have consistently heard 123 is not going anywhere.  It would take YEARS for FieldMaps to even get close to 123.  FieldMaps is still super duper basic and really they should not be pushing it yet.  It is just plain not ready.  I think people saying these rumors have no idea how far FieldMaps has to go yet.  Heck the forms map viewer cannot not even handle relationship classes yet.  I mean how can you have a RDBMS with the R?

That said I do not think @Ismael  @IsmaelChivite  or @JamesTedrick can say it enough times to make me feel better!  We got a lot in it.

LorettaWinton1
New Contributor III

We do too! I really think ESRI needs to get on top of this because the US Forest Service (or some parts of it) is really pushing Field Maps and it just won't do the job that we need. 

IsmaelChivite
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi Loretta. Esri has no plans to retire Survey123. Many organizations use Survey123 and we have no other plans but to serve them the best we can, growing Survey123.   Esri does not have plans to replace Survey123 with Field Maps either. 

I have no idea where that rumor is coming from, but it is not true. 

Joseph_Kinyon
Occasional Contributor II

Came here to address this rumor exactly and appreciate the clear response.
I told them I believed they were confusing it with Collector which was deprecated and that Field Maps is the succesor tool.

ShariF
by
New Contributor III

Just heard it again today. 

0 Kudos
DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Actually they are re-coding the entire thing in .NET right now.   Incorrect rumor for sure.

0 Kudos
Katie_Clark
MVP Regular Contributor

Oh, interesting! @DougBrowning What was it built with before? 

(and yes, definitely incorrect rumor!)

Best,
Katie

“The goal is not simply to ‘work hard, play hard.’ The goal is to make our work and our play indistinguishable.”
- Simon Sinek