pass data to Survey123 note or hidden field not working

12-14-2016 10:54 AM
danbecker
Occasional Contributor III

ArcGIS online popup config, custom attribute display.

I included a link to survey123 in the correct format, but I cannot pass data from the clicked feature to any survey123 fields that are type: "note" or "hidden".

&field:hidden_name={featureService_fieldName}

I checked the schema field type of the hidden and note field and its string, this matches the feature service attribute type.

passing data to a survey123 type: "text" field works fine, but it has to be editable, i.e. read_only = "".

I'm just trying to link clicked features to forms, WITHOUT the field being editable in survey123. If you pass a string to a type: "text" field in survey123 it works, but what happens when the user edits that field...you no longer have joinable data.

This is why I wanted to pass a value to a hidden or non-editable field but I just cant....

any ideas?

16 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hoping the editing of repeats within the Inbox is included within this release? It would be a tremendous help to our forms. IF not, then hopefully the following release after this one will.

0 Kudos
IsmaelChivite
Esri Notable Contributor

2.1 has been released  with a fix for hidden fields and parameters to the custom URL scheme.

https://community.esri.com/groups/survey123/blog/2017/06/02/world-milk-day-release-21 

Editing with repeats is on the works for 2.2, which is scheduled  for late July.

0 Kudos
CardnoNew
New Contributor

I am using 2.3.29 and this is not fixed. I can only send values to a custom note field from URL by also applying a calculation to the note field.

This has a negative consequence in that adding note fields that contain calculations also triggers the existing data will be deleted warning.

0 Kudos
JohnathanHasthorpe
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Cardno

I can confirm that that hidden questions do get populated using custom urls and have done since 2.1. Please can you share some more information on your configuration - are you launching from collector and if so, what platform?

Thanks

John

0 Kudos
CardnoNew
New Contributor

Hi John,

I am launching from collector 17.0.2 on Android. opening a Survey123 form version 2.4.7.

I am attempting to pass a text field to a note field through the url.

I just checked and can report that it does not work. The note field is blank. However, if I put a calculation in, - even just by writing 1 in the calculation field- and then reuploading the form, it does work. The reupload process generates an incompatible data warning.

Having worked once, it continues to work, even if i remove the calculation and reupload. However, I don't want to do this with existing surveys due to the incompatible schema warning.

Thanks,

Jo.

0 Kudos
KevinFleshman
New Contributor II

I found that using using the URL Scheme to pass data to a survey with read only set to yes works only with integers. I've been trying to get this to work with text field types with no luck. Glad I found this thread and hope the new 2.1 release comes out soon with a fix for text, notes, and hidden types.

0 Kudos
JohnathanHasthorpe
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Cardno

While hidden fields do work - we have a bug open for updating a note field. I will add your information to it.

Thanks

John

0 Kudos