Select to view content in your preferred language

Organization settings to mandate certain questions in all forms?

Jump to solution
10-03-2023 05:55 AM
mattkramer
Frequent Contributor

Hello,

I have a few Survey123 form builders who publish forms to our Enterprise Portal, and I was wondering what tools are available to help us standardize some of the forms being built by these users. Specifically, I was hoping to mandate the inclusion of certain fields, such as project_number to help us track how forms are being used. 

We could push out organization templates with this question already added in, but I am worried about our users removing it and not letting us know.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Unfortunately, there's no way to do that. Forms can be made that tie into any existing feature service, so you'd essentially be requiring a "project_number" field to be included on every layer in your organization, not just the forms.

I think it would be fine to set an organizational standard and create an audit process, but I don't think you're going to find a built-in setting to do this for you.

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Unfortunately, there's no way to do that. Forms can be made that tie into any existing feature service, so you'd essentially be requiring a "project_number" field to be included on every layer in your organization, not just the forms.

I think it would be fine to set an organizational standard and create an audit process, but I don't think you're going to find a built-in setting to do this for you.

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS
0 Kudos
DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor

You can set up Organization templates that may work for you.  See here  https://community.esri.com/t5/arcgis-survey123-blog/understanding-survey123-organization-templates/b... 

0 Kudos
abureaux
MVP Frequent Contributor

Second vote for organizational templates.

You asked: "...what tools are available to help us standardize some of the forms being built...". The answer is 100% organizational templates. For example, I have multiple templates set up (e.g., with geopoint, without geopoint, etc.), and all with default/mandatory questions, formatting, and metadata calculations. This ensures a minimum quality of work, and that all forms fit nicely into my automation processes with almost zero configuration (aside from picking which survey triggers the flow, it's all standardized).

Furthermore, I would suggest you get a reviewer. "...a few Survey123 form builders who publish forms to our Enterprise Portal...". This sounds like a nightmare that will only get worse in time. Especially if they are forgetting to add something as fundamental as a project number. For example, I have mandated that all surveys need to be reviewed/published by a single service account rather than all "willy-nilly". You will catch a LOT of little mistakes this way.