On Select Multiple, Need option to explain each selection to user as a pop-up/hover over/expand selection, etc.

Jump to solution
10-21-2022 06:39 AM
JaviVasquez1
New Contributor III

My form needs to describe the short selection choices so the user knows what they are agreeing to.  For example, "John completed his morning tasks" could be selected.  Now I need John to be able to click somewhere and find out what all those morning tasks actually are so he can confirm that he did them all.  Details of those tasks are for reference only.  I might even want to include a picture as a reference, if possible.

I could not figure out how to use "guidance_hints" - not sure if that is an option here but I understand you can't fit much text in it anyway.

Any help is appreciated.

Javi

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor

I use images for each choice and it works well.  I can then have text and photos.

Species List with images.gif

View solution in original post

11 Replies
AlfredBaldenweck
MVP Regular Contributor

Guidance Hints only work if you already have a hint set up.

This isn't perhaps as clean as you want, but you can combine the normal hint with a calculate question to have expository text appear as your question gets answered.

Make a calculation question, then put the name of that question in the hint column. (You can also do this in the Guidance Hint column if you already have something in the hint column)

AlfredBaldenweck_0-1666620601629.png

if(${example1}='1', 'I hated this', if(${example1}='5', "I loved this", "I feel indifferent to this"))

Spoiler
AlfredBaldenweck_4-1666621081299.png

AlfredBaldenweck_3-1666620723993.png

AlfredBaldenweck_1-1666620695806.png

Your syntax will probably have to change to be

selected($question, answer) or selected($question, answer2) in your calculation question if you're doing a multi-select, but this should be a good start.

0 Kudos
JaviVasquez1
New Contributor III

Will try this.  THANKS!

0 Kudos
DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor

I use images for each choice and it works well.  I can then have text and photos.

Species List with images.gif

AlfredBaldenweck
MVP Regular Contributor

This looks great!

Would you mind explaining the process for it?

0 Kudos
DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Just use the image column in the choices list tab or in an external csv for each option like this.  Just add the images to the media folder. Note the files names are case sensitive.

DougBrowning_0-1666626972544.png

Hope that helps

JaviVasquez1
New Contributor III

This works for me as a solution!  Much appreciated.  The only hang-up now is when I start adding images, it duplicates the names of the choices with images.  Really weird.  Like if I have choices blue, red, and yellow - if I add images to the choices blue and red in the choices tab, they will read as red and carry the same red image in the form after I save and update.  Yellow would remain the same.  It takes the choice that had the last image in the sequence.  I checked the media folder and copy pasted the name so it's exact.  Still does this.  Hope this makes sense - I'm sure it's simple.  If I can get over that, I'm golden.  Thanks!

PS - I didn't try it as a CSV yet.

Javi

0 Kudos
DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Sorry never seen that.  Post the form I guess.

0 Kudos
JaviVasquez1
New Contributor III

OK - I'll comb through it first to see if I missed something.  Any idea why all the boxes check when I check the first one on the form?  If I double-click it, I can isolate that choice.  Thanks for the patience.

0 Kudos
DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor

hmm sounds like a name and label issue somehow.  could be a reserved word also.  Post it up

0 Kudos