Multiple Survey123 forms linked to the same feature service?

Jump to solution
04-11-2019 06:02 AM
Anneka_France
Occasional Contributor III

In this use case, we would like to have two web forms that populate fields in the same feature service:

Form 1: Users can submit records for a few simple fields (shared publicly).

Form 2: Allow users to fill out all fields in the feature service (shared privately with a group).

Ideally, form 2 would allow users to search for records submitted in form 1 and update the record with more detailed information from within the web form (not mobile/desktop app/web map).

Is this possible?

Survey123 for ArcGIS‌ 

Anneka France
Technical Manager at The Rivers Trust
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Anneka,

Yes this is possible, you can have as many surveys as you like pointing to the same feature service. Each survey can have different fields/questions that are used and be shared differently to different groups.

You can find more information here: https://doc.arcgis.com/en/survey123/desktop/create-surveys/survey123withexistingfeatureservices.htm#...

Basically you need to set the submission_url on the settings page to point to the same feature service once you have created the first survey and got the itemid of that feature service.

Phil.

View solution in original post

6 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Anneka,

Yes this is possible, you can have as many surveys as you like pointing to the same feature service. Each survey can have different fields/questions that are used and be shared differently to different groups.

You can find more information here: https://doc.arcgis.com/en/survey123/desktop/create-surveys/survey123withexistingfeatureservices.htm#...

Basically you need to set the submission_url on the settings page to point to the same feature service once you have created the first survey and got the itemid of that feature service.

Phil.

DataOfficer

Hi Philip Wilson‌,
I am in a similar situation where I have multiple forms pointing to the same feature service. However, when I try and share each form to different groups (or in some cases, to no groups at all for ones still in development) on the survey123 website, the group sharing settings overwrite on all the forms linked to the same feature service. How can we change group sharing for different forms whilst maintaining the connection to the same feature service?

Many thanks,
Rob

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Rob,

In this case I believe you will need to make the changes to the permissions on the feature service, forms and views in ArcGIS Online for each item. the problem is that you want different permissions and they are sharing the same underlying feature service, so if you change it via Survey123 website, it does not know that other forms are currently also using it, so last in wins.

Regards,

Phil.

DataOfficer

Hi Phil,

Thank you for your quick response and suggestion. I will give that a go. 

Rob

DataOfficer

Hi Phil,

Another query related to this. I have updated sharing permissions for the form but in Who can submit to this survey? in the Survey123 Collaborate tab it still shows no groups checked. Is this to be expected? Also, in relation to sharing the feature service, do we need to share permissions to a feature service as well in order for those groups to be able to submit data? If so, then if we don't want to share the data back to the surveyor would this need to be done through a view and actually pointing the survey form to the view instead of the hosted feature service?

Thanks,
Rob

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi @DataOfficer,

Yes I beleive in your case using views and having the surveys built off the views may work best. The problem is that when you change the permissions in the Survey123 website, it makes changes to the underlying form items, views and feature services you see AGO content folder. Therefore if multiple surveys are using the same underlying items, and you want them to have different permissions, this will cause issues.

Regards,

Phil.